1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flats with lots of mids?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I'm looking for some flats. Here are my criteria:

lots of mids (low-mids and mid-mids, 200-500 Hz mainly)
    fat bottom
    no zing, but plenty of clarity
    reasonable tension

I'm considering the following:

D’Addario Chromes
    DR Hi-Beam Flatwound
    Fender Stainless Bass Flatwound
    La Bella Deep Talkin’ Flat Wound
    Thomastik-Infield Jazz Flatwound

What do you guys think?

2. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

May be the ticket! Do be prepared for 3 days to aweek of breakin time. During this time many harmonics and overtones will occur.

Wesley R.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
  4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks, but I have heard that the Chomes are zingy. I don't want zingy highs, that's why I want flats. I don't want the "feel of flats but sound of rounds".

5. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
    I'm no flatwound expert, having only only used TI Jazz flats and DA Chromes, but I will say that TI's have mids out the wazoo. You either like the tension and feel or you don't, though.

6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    While chromes are zingy for a flat, they still sound like a flat. TI's in my experience sound less like a traditional flat. TI's sound great, but less flat like than chromes.

The tension on those two are drastically different too. TI's were floppier on my bass than most rounds.

7. i had a set of ghs flats on a '95 atk bass, and that gave me a nice shove in the midrange. they come in various gauges and are relatively cheap. come to think of it, i think i'll change out my labella flats on my g&l for these.

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    By no means Chromes have zingy highs, they are flats afterall.

9. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    How would you compare the LaBellas to the GHSs? Thanks

10. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    A break in period? I guess I could given them more of a chance. I put a set on my P bass and they were as bright and clanky as a set of stainless rounds. I had to roll the tone knob back about 75% to tame them down.

11. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I thought they were extremely bright and clanky. I have tried almost every flat available and the Chromes I tried were by far the brightest and clankiest sounding flats of any of them.

12. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    La Bellas have more tension and are thumpier than GHS. They are also more expensive but in my opinion are a very high quality string. GHS are good for the price though. Especially if you're just trying strings out.

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Chromes tame way down just give them time. TIs are more mid heavy and woolfy if you push them. Chromes have more low mid and more classic thump or closer to a classic thump of flats in time. TIs have a woody sound of their own.

14. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Fenders have the thump. Are you putting these on your P, Ryan?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 for the Chromes. Chromes are pretty zingy out of the box, but in time they mellow out. They gain some bottom but they don't lose the mids.

TI's are right out if you don't like zing, though. They're the middiest flat out there, and they never lose their zing. I hated 'em.

16. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I think I'm gonna put them on my SX Jazz.

17. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    +1
    Labellas are high quality strings, and have a very deep (but not dark) sound.

Also, don't forget that you'll always get more mids out of your strings with a P-style or humbucker pickup than with J-style pickups.

18. hey ryan, yeah the labella's to me sound smoother and even. they are a medium gauge set (49-109). the ghs set were more concentrated in the mids (med gauge), the guitarist in the band at that time even commented how good the bass sounded.

i should say that the bass i'm using the labella's on is a g&l sb-1 (p-bass). it's a mid heavy bass to begin with, sorta like the ibanez atk.

i'm using this bass in a band with horns, so i really need to fill out the bottom end, hence the flatwounds.

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Chromes excel at low-mids.
    TI's excel at the hi-mids and highs (for a flat).

Chromes are bright and clanky but will settle down and become smoother sounding from lows to highs. The TI's I have (3 years old) are still very bright in the hi-mids/highs.

Chromes maintain the lows but with great clarity and distinct low-mids that cut. But they aren't that old fashioned thumpy kind of flatwound either.

20. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for all the opinions guys, I'm gonna try out an old pair of GHS flats I have. If I'm not happy, I will try out some LaBellas most likely.