1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats with no silk..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FishDub, Nov 21, 2020.

1. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Are there any brands of flats that have no silk at all? I saw Gail Ann Dorsey playing her jazz for Lenny Kravitz on youtube and didnt see any silk..but I know that she uses flats..

2. As far as I know, SIT Power Flats don't have silk.

FishDub likes this.
  3. I thought I had read a few posts about SIT Flats having no silk, but not so sure anymore. Sorry.

FishDub likes this.
  4. Maybe it was Curt Mangan Flats I've read about with no silk. Maybe... ;)

Thibby and FishDub like this.
  5. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    It’s the Mangan flats. Webstrings Detroit Flats also were silkless at one time, but I am not sure if they are available anymore.

Were the original Fender Mexican made flats silkless? I have a friend who has a Jazz with really old Fender flats and it looks like no flats. I am just mostly curious about it.

Thibby, DJ Bebop and FishDub like this.
  6. Pre-2010 Fender 9050s, made in Mexico before D'Addario took over their production, had green silk at the ball end and no silk at the tuner end.

FishDub likes this.
  7. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    That explains it, thanks!

8. 2manynotes

2manynotes Inactive

Jun 22, 2012
    ...are like ice cream without sugar.

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Why does it matter? Why against the silk? The silk actually helps the string seat on the tuner post to minimize metal fatigue and maximize tuning stability.

10. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    It doesn’t matter...it was a curious question..

11. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    It might clash with a painted headstock. I have a bass with a red headstock and orange silks would clash horribly. Purple (EB Cobalt Flats) look nice, though.

12. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Any flat can be a silkless flat if you put your mind to it.

That, and a razor blade.

Thibby, Fialka, Claymore and 4 others like this.
  13. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    +1
    I just de-silked my TI Jazz Flats. I read somewhere this the silks keep flats from unwinding and that is absolutely not true, as you can see here. Red with seafoam green would have looked hideous. :vomit: I will say that it is way easier to get the silk off before the strings ever get put onto a bass. Taking the strings off and trying to do it when the end is curly is kind of a pain. A6F6A8E8-088C-4409-972B-FAFE17CE9286.jpeg

FishDub likes this.
  14. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    That's what I have on my '78 P bass. Hard to believe they are that old.

15. I have a Novax type Hybrid bass+Guitar and I can only use strings with no silks. I am looking for a short scale flat no more than 105 - 100 preferred on the E.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020