Flats With Purple Nylon Wrap?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jobu3, Sep 3, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I played a MIM Fender Jazz 4-banger with smooth flats (no sign of the outer wrap ribbon like on some). They had a Ken Smith-like purple nylon wrap at the end. Any idea what they were? I'd hate to have to buy that bass because it's over-priced locally at a MGR but it sounded awesome.
  2. chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    call up Dean Markley. I think their flats have purple wrappings
  3. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I once had some GHS Precision Flats with purple silk.
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    d'addario has blue. maybe over time the color changes? :rolleyes:
  5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    They weren't D'Addario Chromes.

I'll look into the GHS and the Dean Markley's. Any other suggestions? :cool:
  6. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

shucks. ah well, guess ill wait for another thread to guess on.
  7. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    GHS and Carvin brand flats.
  8. I second the GHS or... third. Whatever we're on. :)
  9. Carvin's flats are LaBellas just repackaged. By the way, they're about 3 times cheaper through Carvin.
  10. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm not sure, but I personally don't think they are.
    The silk is purple on the Carvins,red on the Labellas. The tone is different, much more dead are the Carvins. And the feel and look of the metal is noticably different also. The Carvins look just like the GHS precision flats.
    I recently just tried out about 3 sets of the Carvins and a few sets of the LaBellas. They seem to be quite different from each other. This is the case with the Flat wounds at least. Roundwounds might be a different story.
    I'll try and ask one of the Carvin sales reps, I live about 15 minutes from a Carvin store.
  11. I have some Pyramids which have a very pale purple silk winding on the ends - not nylon though…

- Wil
  12. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Don't Fender SS flats have purple winding?
  13. I'd bet they're GHS Precision Flats.
  14. I've used Ken Smith strings for years and every set I've bought has purple silk on the ends.
  15. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Actually, I've owned some Smith nickel burners that had a maroon wrap on them.

Wil, I'm not sure if the wrapping material is nylon or silk, if that matters. And it wasn't light purple... It was more of a Crown Royal purple like on Ken Smith's strings.

I'll have to look into the Fender SS Flats as well although the consensus seems to be that they are GHS.
  16. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    My Fender ones have Green on the bridge side and none on the top
  17. I have a set of Dean Markley Flats. They have very Purple wrapping :cool: