Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats with solid fundamental, puch and some zing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chef, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm not a flatwound kinda guy by nature, but have a Lakland Skyline hollowbody I think might sound good with them. I'm interested in some medium tension (no floppies I can't dig in on!), solid fundamental, punchy flats that still have some decent high end...a little zing with my flats please!
    What fits this? I'm a very happy SIT nickelrounds user, don't they make some good flats or half rounds that might fit my ticket?

thanks for help-chef

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive used the Lakland JO sig flats, i believe they were,and they were pretty nice.

3. I've used Fender 9050s and SIT groundwounds (Power Flats) on my fretless.

Fenders:
    -very stiff - you can really dig in on these
    -fair amount of harmonic content at first, but gone after a week or two, more thumpy after that
    -never too happy with the G - sounds kind of thin (but maybe that's just me/my technique getting in the way)

SIT Power Flats (groundwound)
    -much lighter feel than the Fender Flats
    -more harmonics in the tone, and it stays there as time goes on
    -to me, they feel like roundwounds, only flat (the way they respond feels like a roundwound, much more flexible)
    -not as good for digging in

I'm using the SITs now, and working on using a lighter touch.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    From your description, I'd recommend Chromes.

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

2nd that on the Chromes. Tried lots of flats that go thumpity thump, the Chromes will thump with the clarity of a well broken in round wound. .02

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Chromes by whom? Sorry for not knowing...

7. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I'm assuming D'Addario

8. 59jazz

D'Adarrio ECB 81's

9. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Your description of your flatwounds fits my view of the Ernie Ball flats perfectly!

10. 59jazz

Chef, I just tried a set of Ken Smith Slick Rounds......not a whole lotta zing, but nice clarity on the top end. Full and fat they have perfect tension (less than the Chromes) and the SR's feel like buttah! Also When heavily thumping the B string, it's not overly powerful, you can really dig in without the strings buzzing the frets....even with low action!

11. D'Addario Chromes or Rotosound flats should fill the bill. I prefer the Chromes because I'm not wild about the Rotosounds' "gritty" feel.

12. Another vote for the D'Addarrio Chrome Flats.

Awesome IMHO. :)

13. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I've tried many flats, TI, Fender, Chromes, Rotos, GHS, but the flats that give me the absolute most solid and articulate fundamental are Labellas. They can zing with the right eq, and they have perfect tension for me.

14. I'm generally a TI Flat user but my Lakie HB came stock with the JO Flats. I like 'em on the HB and see no reason to change them. Zing and flats? TIs have some zing but the tension might be too low for you. Chromes are probably your best bet then.

Jeff

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Chromes...

16. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Here's a vote for Rotosounds. I recently picked up some Roto 77 - monel flats - wow. They have all the punch and thump of flats - but you can slap 'em!!

They really sound great - my band loves the tone too!

:)

17. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    D'Addario Chromes 45-100's

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Thanks guys! the Lakland Hollowbody should be here tomorrow, and has new Lakland flats on it...we'll see how they do for now, but I very much appreciate your inputs...

chef

19. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    +1

I use those on my Q5. Great sound. The strings do deaden up a bit fast IMO but when they are new or after they have been soaked in alcohol... HEAVEN :p Great feel and a great sound.

20. 59jazz

Seakamp, If I could find a string that is flexible and feels like the Smith Slick Rounds, but sounds like the Chromes.....I'd really be in Heaven. Don't get me wrong, my Smiths are great for my P bass, but I need a Chrome type string for my one-trick RB5.