1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats worth having an extra bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bijoux, May 19, 2011.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I've been playing bass for about 30 years now and I finally was willing to try flatwounds.
    Anyway, I kind of like these strings and what they do, but at the end of the day most of the time end up taking my other bass with roundwounds.
    I've been keeping this bass with flats, but it's mostly hanging on the wall,waiting for the occasional gig or recording session that I might use.
    What's you opinion? should I keep the bass even though I m not getting much use out of it?
    I made a video, and I like how these strings sound. But for some reason I keep thinking they only sort of do one kind of thing...
    YouTube - ‪Fender Jazz Bass with Flatwounds - Fingerstyle improv test‬‏

2. Buxtehude

Buxtehude

Jan 5, 2011
    Sydney
    That's because they do. They fart.

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Between my new debit card getting lost in the mail (thus not having one for two weeks) and my housing complex pulling double rent this month (they're about to be firebombed) I've had to put off buying flats for a month! I plan on switching over, and I've got only one bass!

Nice location, BTW.

4. Funny, I have the same dilemma about keeping a bass dedicated for rounds.

5. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    They might only do one thing, but based on your clip, they do it very, very well. :)

6. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'm also hanging a flatwounded bass on the wall and rarely use. But then again, it's better than hanging another same sounding bass on the wall that I rarely use.

You get a nice flappy thump out of those so I'd say keep it up. If it's a rare occasion, try wearing a suit and smoking a cigar while you're at it. Or atleast that's what I feel like doing when playing with flats.

7. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    well I just recently bought a set of flats for one of the two P Basses I own.... I don't think I'll be using rounds anymore.... I just ordered a set for my other P......

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    +1. And your avatar is my bass, by the by. ;):D

9. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Thanks for the replies.
    I guess for now I am keeping it.
    The other part of the story is that I am very frugal, and that side of me is fighting the side that has a certain fetish for a standard passive Fender bass. So I think I put those strings on in order to have a specific use for the bass and allow myself to have another Fender Jazz. For now I'll try to bring that bass to more gigs and see if it grows on me.
    Thank you.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I actually did this for a brief time back... 10/15 years ago. I got a used P-bass, put flats on it (which were HARD to find at that time) for a motown and audition. The band melted down quickly, and I sold the bass.

Oh, and I hated the feel of the flats. The sounds was "correct" for the music, but I wasn't wild about it so no more flats for me. But if another "motown review band" approached me, I'd consider doing it again.

11. I have a beautiful Fender Coronado that I just loaded with flats. It will definitely have limited uses, but I think every well-rounded bassist needs at least one bass with flats. Or, as noted above, at least one bass with rounds. ;)

12. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    +1 ;)

13. Off-topic, but is that you in the vid?? The guy playing looks like he's mid-30s, at most.

I believe that having one bass with rounds and one with flats is a great way to do things.