1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Dec 15, 2017.

1. I’ve got some Fender flats that I put on my P bass and have had them for a couple years. I’ve been away for a few months and came home to an E string that is very floppy and produces no volume anymore. Can i assume that it’s dead?

The main question though, is I have to pick up a new set of flats before tonight, so which should I choose?

Most stores only have the fender, rotosound, and ghs

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Much like when I found my parakeet very floppy and producing no volume you can assume that it's dead.

There's lots of flats out there and they all sound subtly different from each other. What do you want to sound like?

3. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    If you have to pick them up before tonight, I'm guessing that means you need to play them tonight?

In my experience, Fender flats sound pretty nasty right out of the package. Needs some time to settle before they sound good. I think Rotosound flats sound really nice right out of the package, but change quite a bit (to a different good tone) after some use. GHS flats sound okay right out of the package, but definitely get better over time.

But thinking past tonight, any of them could be good options.

4. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    GHS Precision Flats. Ask for them by name.

Vinnie Boombatz likes this.
  5. I like the way they take the harshness out of the sound. I use EQ to really alter the sound when needed, but generally I just look for a responsive but thumps kind of sound. Thinking of Jamerson and Pino sonically and then occasionally like Cake’s bassist who’s name I cane remember right now.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    if you want instant broken in sound new fresh Flatwound , the Labella LTF4A is right choice.

The string stiffness feel in hand is come close to Fender stock 7250ML set . Tighter than TiJF344 and lighter than 9050L .

Hope help.

7. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Skip over all the other intermediate steps on the way to perfect tone and feel, and save a lot of money and unhappiness. Get yourself a set of La Bella Deep Talking Flats, 760FL. Install, setup, and experience nirvana.

TC.65 likes this.
  8. Panda73

Panda73

Aug 29, 2014
    Mesa , AZ
  9. La Bella or GHS p flats.The GHS will probably be easier to find.