Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by H2ODog, Oct 4, 2004.

1. H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I play in a Blues band and have been using a Fender Jazz with flats. I want to start using my Lakland 55-02 and would like to put flatwounds on it. Can anyone recomend some brands that might work for that type of music. I have been using Fender's flatwounds on my 4 string but i need to find some for my 5 string. Thanks for any input you guys can provide.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I play in a Rock and Blues cover band, and I'm using Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, and I think they're great! The 5-string set of TI JFs is pricey though...

Maybe some Lakland Joe Osborn flats for a Lakland bass...
  3. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I've been using D'Addario cromes on my 5 string for a long time, and I have yet to find a B string that has more punch. TI are very good as well but I have never used them on a 5er so.........
  4. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    I suggest the TI jazz flats. They will last a long time and are well worth the money. IMHO. JF 345 is the 5 string set for 34 inch scale.

I also play Fender 9050's on my Jazz. TI on my SR 5.

5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I like Fender 9050's for thump, and D'Addario Chromes for punch...but Labella Deep Talkin' Flats are a great mix betweent he two.
  6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I swear by TI Jazz flats. Very unique among flats. Middy and smooth is the best way I can describe them. They also by far have the least tension among flats.

I played Labella Deep Talkin' Bass flats before and they were good, traditional flats. One problem though. The silk ends didn't really get that much thinner. I could only fit the D and G strings in the tuner holes. I had to force the B, E, and A horizontally into the tuners with a flathead screwdriver :spit: . Very sloppy.
  7. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I have LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass flats on my small EUB [30" scale] and I not digging them very much, the strings themselves are fine but who ever came up with the "balancing" the set by making the E too light and G too heavy doesn't encourage me to have a high opion of them.
  8. H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Thanks everyone for your input.
  9. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I've got a set of Rotosounds on my fretless now. And while I've read some mixed reviews about them. I've been very happy with their sound.
  10. Rotosound RS77 flats sound very good for a couple weeks then loose some of the tone I like.

I decided to stick with TI Jazz Flats after trying several types of strings because they had good thump, decent mids..and play buttery smooth...so easy..they almost play themselves.
  11. Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    I love Fender flats, but some of the above posts have made me want to give TI's a try.
  12. That's pretty much the same conclusion I've come to, although I've never tried the D'Addario Chromes.

This is how I rate the flats that I've tried:

Fender 9050s: The most thump, mids and highs are good.

Rotosound 77s: A little less thump than the Fenders, but noticeably more midrange and highs.

Labella Deep Talkin' Bass Flats: Slightly less thump than the Fenders, but more than the Rotos. Good mids and highs. The most balanced and uncolored sounding set of the three, IMHO. Ive had the 760 FL light gauge (43-60-82-104) on my Stingray for 7 months, and they still sound good. They also come in a 5 string set.

H20Dog, you may also want to try Elixir Nanowebs. While they're roundwound strings, they're coated and have less highs and an *almost* thump to them. We've discussed them here many times, and it seems to be a love/hate - no middle ground thing with these strings.

Good luck.

Mike ;)
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Lakland Joe Osbourne signature flats are my favorite flats that ive tried so far.
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    TI-JF345- Best strings I ever played.
    MTD-Kingston 5
    Ti-JF344- on my P-bass.
    Killer for blues.
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    TI Jazz Flats. I'm using 'em on my fretless Yamaha, and I will be using them on some upcoming gigs in Kingston.
  16. H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Just ordered some TI JF-345's, will let you all know how it goes. Thanks everyone.
  17. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago

I think you'll like the TI flats - I have them strung through the bridge on my 55-02 and play in a blues/rock band with them. They smoke. :hyper:
  18. H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Ok, just put on some TI flats that were recomended to me by some of you guys. All i can say is WOW! :hyper: What a difference those strings make. My bass has never sounded this good. Thanks again for all your input and i highly recomend the TI flats (if flats is what you are looking for).
  19. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

We've swayed another to the TI side. How's the B?
  20. H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    The B is KILLER!! it sounds soooo good and it plays really smooth. The feel and sound of these strings are awsome.