Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Mar 5, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Has anyone had a chance to compare Sadowsky flats to the TI flats? I need a new set of flats for my 5-str Am. Dlx Fender Jazz.

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I think the biggest difference is the tension..the TI's are much looser than the Sadowsky's.
    I tried the TI's..they sound amazing but where too loose for my style..
    I swithched over to the Sadowskys and am very happy with them

3. D'Addario Chromes .45-.100 are very good sounding balanced strings.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I'll second that. Chromes sound and feel pretty similar to TI jazz flats IMHO.

I find that I like the Chromes better for a Jbass type bass, and TI's better on a Pbass. This is based on my own personal setup that I have.

My MIM jazz fretless has DiMarzio Model j's, and D'addario chromes. This has made for an awesome combination IMHO.

The only other thing I'll share is this; if you plan to do any slapping on that flatwound strung bass, get the TI jazz flats, as they are much better suited for that-probably because of the lower tension.

Hope that helps :hyper:

5. Ostur

Ostur

Dec 21, 2004
    I second the sadowsky,at the suggestion of Tommixx I put a set on both of my warwick thumbs,I found my thrill.

6. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I should be getting my Super long Chromes this week :hyper:
    They're going on my Roscoe Beck V..........should be plenty of booty!

H2

7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Aside from sound, one thing I love about the TI flats is the feel. So smooth, so playable. What about the Sadowski's or even the D'Addario Chromes. I haven't been able to find the D'A Chromes on the web yet.

8. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Pack, use the "Search This Forum" option, you should find a butt load of posts on the chromes and Chromes vs. TI Jazz Flats. Also there are a ton of posts on the Chromes over at the Dude Pit............some heavy Chrome users there! Find any post by Prismacolor2, and check out his link to his band, Shiner Jones. Steve has some pretty tasty recordings of his Jazz Bass with Chromes. If you like, you could email me late this week or next week and ask me how I like the Chromes on my 5'r.

Steve :D