Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ninefoldbass, Mar 4, 2003.

1. ninefoldbass

ninefoldbass Guest

Feb 26, 2003
    im wondering, i use rounds on my p bass.. and i play in a rock/punk/metal band... and i was wondering what flats would sound like under my conditions.. i use a pick... any ideas?
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga

out of place...
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :meh: Probably won't suit you too well, btu who knows. You won't really know unless you try it right? Everyone's tastes are different.
  4. Tbass66

Mar 15, 2002
    hmmm depends really...like rounds flats differ from brand to brand. some flats sound like s**t and some sound great..you will prolly get a more percussive tone from the flats and less fret noise. a good example is any of the early REM stuff..from what i remember mike mills used flats on his rick and got a punchy high end tone plus many of the punk bands of the 70s/80s used flats..the clash would be another example..think he used flats on a p-bass..thumpy low end tone he got though..i use pyramid flats on my ric4003 and play with a pick sometimes..they are very dead sounding strings but i still get some highs and punch if i use a pick and tweak the treble up. one thing i like about flats is i can get the action nice and low without getting a ton of fret noise:) i think ghs make some good flats at a low price..the brite flats they sell are actually halfwounds though..they sell true flats though also..there are other brands that are in that price range also..give em a try:)