1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatsawn vs quartersawn roasted neck from USACG. Want a strong neck, but prefer flat sawn.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaminjamesp, Oct 7, 2017.

1. jaminjamesp

jaminjamesp

Feb 21, 2016
    I just placed my order for a neck and P body from USACG; roasted quartersawn maple neck with an ebony freatboard, and a roasted swampash body.

I went with quartersawn because I want a STRONG neck. My roadworn Jazz bass has a week neck (trus rod almost maxed out with TI Jazz rounds). I would like to be able to put any string my heart desires on this P bass. So I went with quartersawn because I know it’s a bit stronger and less prone to bending with the string tension.

But I don’t really love the way quartersawn looks. I’d prefer a flat sawn. Considering USACG uses graphite rods and the roasted maple is a bit stiffer, I’m wondering if I’d be fine to call them on Monday morning and switch it over to a flatsawn roasted neck.

Any thoughts from the crowd?

2. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    I have both a quartersawn and flat sawn jazz bass neck from them (neither are roasted). Either way, you have a stable yet light weight neck. They are of higher quality build than the fender neck you mentioned. I splurged more on the quarterawn (qs plus ebony and real clay) because it was for my number 1 bass. In practicality, the quality difference is negligible between my two USACG necks so far, though I know that the qs is a nicer, stronger cut. I just don’t think it will have much of an effect in reality since the flatsawn is so nice and stable with the graphite rods and rosewood fretboard.

Just a heads up, they are running slow on bass neck production at the moment. It took me 13 weeks to receive my flatsawn neck this year. Last year, I got my qs neck in 8 weeks. In my experience, the quality is worth the wait over warmoth or other brands.