Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatten, thickness, joint rough wood with hand planes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by #include <MK>, May 6, 2005.

1. Just wondering whether any people prefer to buy rough wood for making basses here? I'm not interested in discussing dressed wood. What I'd like to know is whether you flatten, joint and thickness the rough wood using hand planes when making bodies, or do you prefer to use machinery?

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    what do you consider rough wood, logs? or just non surfaced.

personaly, i use whatever i can get that looks good, and isnt super expensive if its not for looks.

i found purpleheart to be a biznich to get flat on my equipment, and i honestly have no idea why, the planner i have keeps putting waves in it.

3. I don't mean logs, since no one in their right mind would plane a log flat. Non surfaced or wood that is not dressed - "hairy" - from the lumber yard.

4. I used to get rought wood before I moved to the US just because that's what was available. It is a real pain milling rough stock to dimensions by hand. I don't do that anymore since I have access to sources that sell dimensioned stock relatively well dressed.

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i usually use a jointer to get one "flat" edge, or just run it threw a table planner. Another route on smaller peices if just using your router and a template bit thats totaly straigh ( i use drywallers squares)

and you would be surprised what people do with logs, a friend of mine made an awsome table out of a freakin redwood tree trunk.

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I did this once, and I won't do it a again. Major pain.

7. Yep, time is a factor, since a board can be dressed very quickly with machinery. The lumber yard where I buy wood does it for AUD$3.55 per metre. Also, getting the technique right to flatten cupped, warped and twisted boards is also tricky. Not sure how fast it can be done by someone who can do it quickly, but there are some woodies who do the boards using hand planes.

8. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    A relative of mine (who happens to be a finishing carpenter) likes to take old pallets and plane them down. Apparently a large percentage of them are made from "exotic" hardwoods because that's what was cheap and available where they were built (often Africa or South America).

Has anyone else had tear out problems when planing figured maple? I've heard you can moisten the wood to minimze this, but I haven't found anything close to instructions. So far my best approach is to just take off around 1/64th per pass, but that takes a long time.

-Nate