1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flattening Bottom of Nut Slot on a Fender?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joshua Phelps, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    is it unheard of to take a seating file & flatten the bottom of a nut slot on a jazz or pbass so you can install flat bottom nuts? whats the draw back other than never being able to use a radiused bottom nut again?

:bassist:

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    You can put sand paper on the fingerboard and just sand the radius into the bottom of whatever nut you want.

Pretty easy to do. But you could also just flatten the bottom of the slot and use a regular nut. Different strokes for different folks.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The drawback is a lot of work for little gain. It is quicker, easier, and makes more sense to simply purchase a nut blank with the bottom radius installed.

4. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    I'm thinking your right. I'm not of fan of permanent altercations to stuff.

5. Since the average bass has the nut replaced once every 20-30 years, what's the point?

Rocky

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I have customers in my shop that change the nut yearly, constantly wanting a different material...LOL. This is the only reason I see for flattening the slot. You can get Brass, Bone, plastic, Tush, Delrin, Corian, Ivory, and MOP all in radius bottom, so it's not really sensible unless you want some crazy material that can't be radiused easily, or bought radiused.

7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I concur with sandpaper on the fingerboard, and radiusing the nut bottom. Some 80 or 100 grit 3m gold will make that happen, fast.