1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwound 5 string E-C tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stranded horse, Mar 5, 2010.

1. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    Are there flatwounds with a high C string? I can't find any :(

2. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    Maybe you can buy a separate high c?

3. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    Yes, I'm stupid, I didn't look carefully.
    There are TI 6 string sets and D'Addario single string high Cs.

4. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    For the Rotosound flats, you can buy the high C as a single at Mus. Friend.

For the LaBella flats, you can buy the high C as a single at Big City String. Best to call and ask for it - it's not on the website.

IIRC, the Roto is at .030 and the LaBella at .029

You can also buy LaBella black tapewounds with either a high C as a single, or buy a six string set and give the low B away to someone who is considering a career as a tightrope walker.

Then tune down to DGCFBb and you've got nearly the full range of a 6 string covered with a fiver. I like playing a detuned E much more than I do a B string.

5. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    I bought a single Thomastik-Infeld high C-string at amazon.com (cheapest I've found).

It was about $12.00 with $5.00 shipping.

If you're really gonna go for TIs, you should look into it.

6. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    Are the TIs worth it? I love them on my other bass but I don't know how they perform on the high notes.

7. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    They are worth it, IMO.

How long have you had your TIs?

8. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    2 weeks.

But I'm unsure if I take D'Addario Chromes or TI strings for my 5 string fretless.
    As I said, I want to tune it E-C

9. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    I've never tried Chromes before, but give them some time and the TIs will totally mellow out and show the true sound that everyone raves about.

10. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    But I loved the tone of the TI flats from the start right away :D

11. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Right on. :cool:

Can anyone else chime in on the Chromes vs. TIs on a 5-string fretless bass? :help:

12. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    I wouldn't hestitate putting the TIs on 4 string for a second. But they might sound too mellow for a high c string, and Chromes are said to be brighter, so that would be a plus for them.

13. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I've never tried this but hate the sound of B strings, especially with flats.

This seems like a good idea to me, especially with TI's.

14. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Chromes and TIs are very different tension-wise - this is something you might want to consider. The TIs are very low tension, Chromes feel much tighter. I recently put Chromes on my short scale Stanley Clarke 5-string tuned E-C like you want to do, thought they were great! Plus they were giving me higher tension that the roundwounds I was using (DR Hi-Beams) which I needed. I also put on a set of Rotosounds Monel flats and the tension seems to be about the same as the Chromes.

I also have Chromes on a 4-string Fender bass, and really like them. I've used TIs in the past, but they are just a bit too floppy to me. I think you should experiment with both, see what you like, but I will vote Chromes.

15. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    I think I'm going to put chromes on my 5 string fretless, just out of curiosity.
    And they are a lot cheaper too. The store where I ususually order strings and stuff doesn't have single TI strings, but the have Chrome High Cs. The Chromes are just €30 and the single high C is €8 while the TI are €36 plus possible around €15 for the single high C...

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020