flatwound acoustic?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chog, Jul 24, 2002.

1. chog

Sep 4, 2000
    Sydney, Australia
    I recently got a Takamine EG512C acoustic(http://www.takamine.com/fa=detail&mid=355&sid=172 ) and i was wondering if there were such things as flatwound acoustic strings and if not would i be able to use normal flatwound strings and have it still sound good without the amp?
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've heard of people using T-I low tension flats on ABGs, but have never tried it myself.

I'm currently using Labella black nylons on my Tacoma, and like them. I have a set of T-I Acousticores (rounds) I also want to try, but the LaBellas are great! Cheap from Carvin, too...
  3. Rotosound Bronze are flatwound acoustic strings, they can also be used on electric basses, too. :)
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I second the black tape wounds from LaBelle. They get rid of all that clicky fret noise I was getting from those bronze strings. Also when I plugged in the bronze strings made the ABG sound like a solid body electric. The black tape wound really bring out the acoustic flavor of the ABG. Get them from the Carvin website, they're alot cheaper there.