Flatwound cutting query...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Later_Peter, Oct 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM.

1. Hopefully, without stirring a new debate:
    Short Scale bass (Epiphone Allen Woody...)... ordered a set of Chromes via M.F.... SOMEHOW (operator malfunction or weak link) they're sending Medium Scale strings. I've read the debates about "never cutting" vs. "never matters"... So: how bad's it goin' to be use a string that's an inch or so, too long?
    MOSTLY: what's the inside the string construction in that piece of tube?
    thanks... (no fights PLEASE!)

2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I have always cut every single string so that it wraps exactly thrice around the post. In the million years that I have been doing this, I have experienced exactly zero problems. For the record, I use Chromes and Lo-Riders exclusively.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You can cut the silk end that wraps around the tuner. If you cut the main part of the string than that's the end of the string.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The medium scale chromes should fit that bass anyway, I think.

But either way you should never cut a flat wound like that.

5. What's the actual distance on that particular bass from where the ball end sits to the tuner post closest to the nut?

D'Addario "medium scale" has a winding length (ball to silk) of 34". How much of that would actually have to wrap around the post?

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I had Labella Beatle bass strings on mine and those are technically medium scale.

7. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I have always cut my strings and I have never experienced any problems just don't clip below the silk on a flatwound after I clip the string I bend the tip over on itself before I insert and wind up. Seems to work just fine for me.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I could be wrong but I think the OP is talking about cutting the string itself. The flatwound part.

Later_Peter likes this.
  9. ^^^THIS.

nice_hat likes this.
  10. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard

Feb 10, 2016
    Just put a sharp, 90-degree kink in the string a centimeter or two from where you plan to cut to prevent the wrap from unwinding from around the core.

fermata likes this.
  11. Good luck trying to put a 90-degree bend in the MAIN BODY of a flatwound string. I think you're missing the point of what the OP is asking.

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Wow you've been playing for a while. ;)

I've cut every string I've ever used (round, half, flats, etc) and have had no issues.

13. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard

Feb 10, 2016
    Why on earth would he have to bend the main body of the string if the strings are only an inch or two too long?

Even if the main part of the string made it to the tuning post on the E string to begin with, a couple wraps of the post would get him to the silk for the bend and cut.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    bonin in the boneyard is absolutely correct. That's how I've always done it. He's talking about where you cut the string up near the tuner so you have the correct length. Make a bend, then cut the string just past the bend. That little bend part goes down into the tuning peg first, and helps keep the string/silk intact. Rarely is the string exactly the length you prefer until you cut it. I usually cut 2 1/2 - 3" beyond the post, and make the bend a little bit before where I cut.

15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Nice choices. They're my favorite flat and favorite round! :thumbsup:

16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    This is another one of those "It Depends" situations. Unless someone who has a set of medium scale Chrome strings on an Epi RumbleKat steps forward to say yea or nay, they might work - or they might not. I have some short sale basses without the tail pieces that mandate medium scale strings; some will take mediums OK - just barely - and some will not, unless I'm willing to wind some of the sounding length around the post. Which is normally not a good idea with flats. You can do it - if you're slow; careful; and lucky. Epiphone says the RumbleKat is 30" scale - as opposed to 30.5" for some shorties - so I'm guessing those strings might be a little too long, and a little speaking length on the tuner post is what you'll wind up with. On the other hand... depending on the brand, the strings themselves can vary a lot in overall length. I have a couple of short scale basses that should need medium scale strings. But, there's a surprising number of short scale strings that will fit just fine. And there's a couple of medium scale string brands that will fit my Gretsch Broadkaster; a short scale bass that normally needs long scale strings. So, like I said - it just depends... But as others have said, cutting a flatwound (or a round wound) string in the speaking part of the string is not a very good idea - unless you put a right angle bend in it first, before you cut the access string off. So, either try those medium scale Chromes and see if they work; sell them unopened here on TB; or save them, and get a bass that really needs them. Surely you need another bass...;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    steelin4u likes this.
  17. Yeah... & there you have it. 47% for, 47% against & the other 68% seem to be waffling... oh what to do?... what to do?

Westsailor likes this.
  18. Westsailor

Westsailor

Dec 12, 2009
    Kinda reminds me of the 'Can anyone recommend the best [insert product here]' and you end up with 50 posts, 40 recommending all different products, the remaining 10 each seconding one of the other 40

petrus61 and InhumanResource like this.
  19. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Dang! I guess you'll just have to buy a bigger bass :(

kobass and Omega Monkey like this.
  20. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I just don't cut my strings anymore. Use a couple of extra wraps.