Flatwound cutting query...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Later_Peter, Oct 12, 2017.

1. As I said,you'll probably be alright but as others have mentioned you don't want to be cutting in the full diameter section of the strings and they may or may not be agreeable to having the full diameter (mostly the e string) wrapped around the post. Even the type of post,whether full size or smaller diameter, can make all the difference. If the strings are not sealed in a bag you could take the e string out and thread it through and see if it looks like it'll work before you make the strings non returnable. The stacked washer trick would be a last resort but could actually make enough of a difference for them to work.

2. MrUsefulAlien

MrUsefulAlien

Jun 10, 2011
    Prague, CZ
    What length? Shortscale or medium?

And you say it needs 40-60-80-100?

I'm getting an AW in February and would like to order some strings from BSO, but want to make sure the gauge and length are right :D

3. Do you mean that
    (a) you want to cut through the skinny tapered part of the string....or

(b) do you want to cut through the main thick body of the string?

4. nah... never even opened the package... (saving them up for the viola style)

5. I'm likin' that Allen Woody "Rumblekat" Bass, myownself...
    strings must be: Short Scale. The bass is designed to pull more bass response via the pick up locations, so, you may want to keep that in mind when choosing string gauge & amplifier settings.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have cut every single string I have ever owned or tried including flats (Chromes included) extra long scale, reg scale and short. I have never once had an issue. Cutting strings is a non issue IMO.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  7. I agree. I've cut my strings into tiny little pieces many a time.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Your doing It Wrong.;)

9. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm late to this party.
    Only saw this thread as I've just ordered a Rumblekat myself and was wondering about strings.
    @MrUsefulAlien , The consensus that I can extract from a lot of threads on here about the bass suggest GHS Pressurewounds (Short Scale, 40-96), and I've just ordered a set from @SLaPiNFuNK 's wonderful little BSO organisation.

However, can I just say this...
    I am extremely disappointed in you guys.
    The obvious answer to the OP's question is to buy a new bass that fits the strings.

MrUsefulAlien likes this.
  10. I had a Rumblekat. It is short scale and that is what is needed, so no cutting into the string area is necessary if you buy short scale strings. As far as the debate goes, I am not comfortable with cutting past the silk area to "make" a longer scale fit a shorter one, although others do it without problems. I did once, and the string slowly unraveled. I do not like the string area past the silk to wound around the peg head either.
    When there is a short wound string option available, use the right scale string for that bass. You can now buy short scales of any string type or gauge off the internet. I realize that finding short scale strings locally can be a challenge, so I order them off the net and keep a couple of sets in reserve.

Later_Peter likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021