Flatwound Fretted

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by projectBdaddy8, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Has anyone ever used flatwound strings on a fretted bass. If so how does it affect the sound.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Sure have! I had Ernie Ball group 3 flats on my p-bass copy for 5 months. They sound like heavily played 4 month old Ernie Ball roundwounds, which was what I had on before -- there was little difference in the sound but a nice thump and no "shick!" when I did slides or slid along a string when going to a different position on the same string. The huge difference was feel -- it was like the strings were just incredibly thick cores with no windings at all! I loved them, but you can't do chili peppers funk with them, so I had to restring.
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    TI Flats on my Warwick fretted.
    Sounds Great.

Remember, Fender Fretted Bass used to come with
    flatwounds in the early days.
    Roundwounds for electric bass came later.
  4. This concept is NOT new at all. Many bassist from the early years only had flat wound strings.

Fender use to put stock fender flats on all their basses as they were sold new.

I have been using flatwoud strings, as long as I can remember.

I use the TI Jazz flats on some of my basses right now. I get a clean, phat thump (without a lot of fret noise when I record) from them.

I do use the TI power bass series for slap and rock tones too!

Hope this helps.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    TI Jazz Flats on my Precision. Sounds awesome. Even the guys in both of my bands comment on the excellent tone you get from these strings.

Dan :bassist:
  6. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

TI Jazz flats on my Epi Jack bass. For years I have been trying to get warm thumpy mids out of my Jazz Bass with round wounds; thanks to discusion boards, such as BT, I have found that flats are very popular. The TI flats are full, firm, punchy and very distinct in pitch, and no finger noise! The bass sounds good thru the amp, but for the first time I was able to hear a recording of my bass, from this mornings church service (sound tech burned in a disc of our set). Even thru a small Sony portable cd player, the bass was very present and not just a wash of boominess and thud. I was very impressed with the way the Jack / Flats sounded. I think you should try some flats.........my bet is that you will eventually favor them; "mmmmmm, flats on a stingray!"
  7. I've been using Flatwound strings on fretted basses for some time now. Currently, I'm using TI Jazz Flats on my BTB405 and really like them.
  8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I use D'Addario Chromes and LeBella Flats on my P Bass. THe GHS Precision Flats did alright by me two and they have a reasonalbe price. Might not last as long as others though. If you wanna play Motown....flats on a P Bass will take you there.:bassist:
  9. thanks for the imput guys....i think ill try the flatwounds then....i'll let you know how things go