Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwound question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Collin.A, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    I picked up a semi-hollow bass not long ago and I have heard some suggesstions to put flatwound strings on it. I know of several players with great tones that use flatwound strings (Ben Kenney, etc.) But I am little unclear on the exact difference between the two.

2. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I assume you mean the difference between flat and round? Flat will deliver a darker fatter tone. Think Motown bass...

3. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    Any negatives to flat?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not really, unless you like that bright piano tone sound of rounds. But your frets will last much longer and you can use a set of flats until they break. I've got my LaBellas on my bass going into its 6th year.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Crap, 6 years?

I really want to try some TI's...but right now I've still yet to throw on the elixirs...0.o

6. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Flatwounds are darker and thumpier. Tapewounds are extra-dark.

I use d'Addario Chromes on my BG but that has less to do with string preference and more with the fact that they come in a good variety of gauges so I can put together a well-balanced set for CGDA tuning.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Minger, there was like a 2 month period earlier this year where I tried TI Jazz Flats, but I ended up disliking them and gave them away. Too midrangey and spongy for me. I put the LaBellas back on and all was good.

8. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Hmmm... They don't give as easy under pressure as rounds... So maybe you hand might get a little tired if you're playing a really long set.