Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flatwound question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LMotive, Feb 13, 2006.

1. LMotive

LMotive

Jan 28, 2006
    is it possible to fit a bass with flatwound strings yourself, i've been told that if you change to flats from rounds your going to need to have almost a whole new setup done, as the intonition would have to be changed ect... I just prefer doing the work myself as i don't feel like giving my babay up for 2 weeks to my local shop.

2. mamm7215

mamm7215

Mar 23, 2005
    Yikes that's a long time for a setup. I just put 1/2 rounds on mine this weekend, intonation stayed good and just needed a small adjust on the truss rod and action. Took about 1/2 hour.

3. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    would'nt it just be like putting on a new set of strings? i'm not sure why you would have to do a setup on the bass. well, i actually did. my bridge is a piece of rosewood with a fret and the flats kept slipping so i had a new bridge made with slots to hold the string in but didnt require a new setup.
    what kind of bass?

4. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    I've never heard of, nor seen, anyone need a setup when they changed from flats to rounds, or vice-versa. I've done this myself many times, and it never caused any changes in the neck.

5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    If you change the string gauge then it can require an adjustment to the trus rod but that's about it. When I got my Fender Jazz fretless I changes the stock Fender flats to TI flats which were much lighter so that required a chamge but only it took 30 minutes to finish the whole setup.

6. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    I've found that flats intonate at a different spot than rounds and the tension will very likely change. It's really no different from changing brand or model, they will work differently.

~Paul :)

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There are instructions on how to set up a bass at www.fender.com

http://www.fender.com/support/setup/basssetup.php

It's not that hard...you just need to be careful with truss rod adjustments and go slowly with the right tool (if an adjustment is even needed).

Besides, how your instrument plays is a very personal thing and you might as well learn how to do it yourself!!!