Flatwound recommendations for my (first) Stingray

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DoggyD, Jan 22, 2006.

1. DoggyD

Oct 8, 2005
    Hi, any recommendations on flatwounds for my Stingray ?:confused:
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    d'addario Chromes are great on any bass but very nice on my Sterling. IMO, they are among the best flats around and will sound great on your Ray. well, at least it's a good place to start.
  3. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    All my StingRays are fretless, but:

1. TI Jazz Flats
    2. Ernie Ball flatwounds
    3. D'Addario Chromes
    4. Rotosound Jazz Bass flats

my current favorites are the Rotos and TI's, but I like all of the above.
  4. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Chromes, TI's and Sadowsky all work great, but have different feels. My SR5 has Sadowsky's on it now but I have had a set of Chromes on it for the past two years. I thought the TI's sounded good but I like a higher tension string.
  5. I like chromes around 6 mo. old.

Pure Buttah!
  6. Love the TI jazz flats....
  7. Bumping an old thread here - I am interested in having one of my basses be strung with flats.

My first instinct was to do it on my Jazz V and I did - (GHS - flats) but it seemed that because it strings thru-body, the flats didn't like the extreme bend over the saddles and my action got too stiff and high.

Now I am thinking about trying them on my Stingray 5. Because the the strings go thru the bridge and not thru the body, I think the bend over the saddles thing won't be as much of an issue.

So my question is; does anyone here use flats on their MMSR5? If so, how do they sound to you?

I personally loved the sound on the Jazz! No surprise there. But I am curious how the MMSR5's active pups will treat the flats... will I be able to cop a "McCartney" sound?
  8. My Tech Administrator at School uses Flats on his Stingray 5, and he loves them so.....i think your in good shape dude..get to stringin!
  9. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    I use EB flats on my ray. Sounds great.
  10. thanks! I was hoping to hear that! I will post back after the deed is done and report.
  11. mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thought I would also revive an old thread here since I too am curious about flats on my Stingray 5. I love this bass (early 90's era), don't have any problems with too much "zing," but I think I would like more thump to it, while still retaining that tightness and growl.

I do plan on trying a set (possibly Sadowsky's or Chromes) but since flats are expensive (expecially for the 5 string), do any of you kind folks have sound samples of flatwounds on your Stingrays (preferably a 5 string)? It'd be nice to narrow down a set before I shell out the cash for experimentation.

Also, those that are using flats on your Ray: have the strings slowed down your playing at all? I've heard that it's harder to get around on flats vs. rounds, so I'm just curious about different experiences you may have.

12. jw19x62

Jul 28, 2008
    Nebraska, USA
    I guess this should drirected towards new bass players, ie someone just starting out on bass. Your first bass is nothing to worry about. The real matter is strings. Expect to pay a respectable ammount of money for strings until you find what you like on every bass you might own. It is a necessary evil of the trade. Don't be appauled at trashing a perfectly good set of strings just because you dont like how they feel under your fingers. We all had to go thru this.