1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flatwound Recordings I can play along to?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassingeorge, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Believe me...I used the search option, found a few songs...but I have specific needs. So sorry if this has been beaten to heck.

I installed some chromes on my p bass and found that I was definitely to stuck with rounds and trying to always sound "hi-fi"...and with the change of strings I bumped into a wall. I like to pratice playing along the lines of numerous songs.

So I need a list of cool, flatwound bass lines I can practice to. ;)

I like modern stuff, classic stuff, rock, funk, r&b, ska, pop, you name it, although I prefer rock. But there is one thing...I'm no virtuoso, so many of the songs I've downloaded been a work in progress. Like some Pino's basslines and the hard to figure out "darling dear" from jamerson for example. Go easy on me! :p

I read in another thread that some jamiroquai songs might be recorded with flatwounds, if you guys know of said titles can you enlist them please? Thanks! I know a lot of you guys play flats exclusively, so you might know a song or two featuring them.

Thanks again!

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Pretty much anything from the 60s.

3. Yeah, I would imagine so...any of your personal favorites you could recommend for me?

4. How about "Penny Lane" ? nice bass line there.

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Motown, especially Marvin Gaye

6. Thanks...makin the list..Keep it comin'!

7. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

The entire Beatles catalogue- lots of great lines there. Old Doobie Brothers. Early Elton John. Anything Duck Dunn- look up Stax Records. Joe Osborn- Carpenters, all sorts of other stuff. CSN&Y.

But there's no reason you can't play stuff that was written on round wounds, on a bass equipped with flats...

8. Lots of early Bee Gees stuff has very prominent flatwound bass lines that would be easy to play along to.

9. Oh believe me, I've been slappin' on my flatwounds since I put them on! But I want to play along to songs that actually were recorded with flats.

Yeah, I have some beatles songs down, I also like to play beach boys...Were queen songs recorded with flats?

10. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    John Deacon used both flats and rounds with Queen

11. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Time is tight, Melting Pot, Green Onions by Booker T & the MG's.

12. pgullo64

pgullo64

Jul 23, 2010
    New York, NY
    Brown Eyed Girl - Sweet Caroline - Brickhouse - Give it to me baby

Flats with a Pick: Doobie Bros, Elton, Try Love Lies Bleeding/Funeral for a Friend,

13. +1 to this. Those early Queen albums feature some fantastic bass playing, especially Queen II.

14. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    He's in virtuoso territory for sure, but some of the blues songs and some of the other songs from the Grateful Dead feature Phil Lesh playing flats. I'd recommend some of the live shows in the Pigpen era up to and including Europe '72. Songs that are fantastic to play with include Good Lovin', Truckin', El Paso, China Cat Sunflower, Sugar Magnolia, Ramble On Rose, Black Throated Wind. If you're feeling more adventurous, Dark Star and The Other One.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maiden.

16. I'm gonna try some maiden songs for sure! thanks for the input guys!

17. +1

18. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    +1