Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwound Set for Conklin GT-7

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stefeb, Jul 11, 2002.

1. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Is there a flatwound seven string set available?

I've been able to five five string flatwound sets, but no sevens.

Any online sites would be great.

Thanks.

2. There are flatwound 6-string sets available, and you could probably find flatwound .022 singles for the high F if you looked hard enough.

I don't think the average 7-string player is the type who would use flats, so finding a pre-packaged set might be difficult.

3. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Hmm...hadn't thought of that. I just like the sound of flatwounds better.

Would there be anything wrong with a set of six flatwounds, and the high F be a roundwound?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    when i got my fretless 8 string (non-doubled) from bill conklin, the top 7 strings were flat wound, sr2000 flats by dean markley. they worked very nice for flats, but i'm not much of a flat player, so i took them off.

i also know quite a few conklin users that get 7 string flat sets from thomastic infeld.

5. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Thanks John. I visited both sites. Wrote to Thomastik-Infeld. I didn't see the seven string sets on his site, but I did find them on the Dean Markley site.

Thanks again.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no problem - good luck with it.

there's a guy who's with connolly and company, thomastic's importer here in the states, name "thomguy" who participates over at the dude pit, www.thedudepit.com . go on over there and post in the thomastic forums, or email him. he should be able to help you out - he's been pretty helpful over there.

7. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Joined the forum and am waiting a reply.

Thanks.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, the difference in sound might be too striking.
    Try finding a flatwound guitar string that fits.