1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flatwound sets for light-top, heavy-bottom

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by srayb, Jan 14, 2012.

1. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Can someone recommend a flatwound set for me? I'm using an altered tuning on a 4-string fretless and need light top, heavy bottom such as:

I've been using D'Addario Chromes, but will have to buy to separate sets to use 2 strings from each.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

2. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I think Pyramid Gold will make a custom set like that for you. You'd have to order it direct through them.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Light top heavy bottom sets for bass are very rare unfortunately (i think there are many advantages) i only know of one brand and that's roundwounds only. Most sets are top heavy and a few are equal (balanced) tension. It will have to be singles.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Yeah unfortunately D'Addario does not sell single's for all of their strings... However that is something they are working on doing as we heard about in another thread.

LaBella does sell individual strings for their flatwounds however they are on the complete oposite end of the sonic spectrum when comparing to Chromes

GHS sells singles for there Precision Flatwound and "Brite-Flat" Half-Rounds as well.
    Although the GHS Precision flats as well do not sound like chromes.