Flatwound Shootout!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steamthief, Sep 3, 2010.

1. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Started with light Chromes (ECB81's, 45-60-80-100) and found them a little too gritty-feeling and mid-range heavy. Replaced them with LaBella 760FL's, which feel a lot smoother and are deeper/less mid-rangey, but have less apparent sustain than the Chromes. Still fiddling with EQ on my Boss GT-10B to perfect their sound.

2. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've been using Chromes (.40-.100) on my passive Jazz for the past three years and they just keep getting better sounding as they age. Really.

This afternoon I'll be picking up a 2011 American Deluxe V. I am excited to get this bass!

Here's the question - Has anyone here used flats on a fiver? Also, I tend to like going with a lighter B string (shouldn't be a problem here as flats are inherently "stiffer") and I noticed that the Chromes 5 string set doesn't come in a gague that floats my boat. Knowing that I like the sound of Chromes .40-.100, what other sets would work for lighter gagues? Fender? Others?

3. hey man any chance you can get this back up and running? i'd love to hear the original comparison with the other bass as well.

4. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Zombie thread Thursdays? There should be chicken wings involved somehow...

shawshank72 likes this.
  5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I could go for some wings.
    Drumsticks please.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021