Flatwound string GAUGE recommendation?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jhb138, Jul 6, 2017.

1. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I'm thinking of stringing one of my basses with D'Addario Chromes, since I have enough basses to try out flats on one.

I've played D'Addario EXL160 (med) for years, and love them; definitely "my" strings. My current band downtunes to D standard, so I've switched to EXL230 (hev) for that; also love them.

My question for you, TB, is what gauge do you think I should try? (Tuned to E standard, at least initially.)

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

1. find a string tension calculator - D'Addario has a great one called String Tension Pro .com
    2. plug in the values you're currently using
    3. make note of the tensions it calculates
    4. change the tuning & string type (chromes vs. round wound) as per what you want to change
    5. now adjust the calculator to get similar tension to what you've been using
    6. take note of the string diameter you had to change to for the correct tension

Klonk and Pantone 333 like this.
  3. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I typically use 45-105 for roundwounds,and 40-100 for most flatwounds ends up feeling about the same.
    With daddario's i go even lighter.

Pantone 333, trothwell and jhb138 like this.
  4. Going from the XL Nickels to the Chromes Flats, the rule of thumb is to go down one step in gauges.

For example, I started out with EXL165 (45-65-85-105) and switched to ECB84 (40-60-80-100) to retain the overall playing feel in terms of stiffness/tension.

jhb138 likes this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I once strung up chrome ADGC strings tuned to EADG. That was the only time I liked chromes.

woodyng2 likes this.
  6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Chromes are stiff. Go lighter than you're used to.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021