Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwound string help...which to buy

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KPO2000, Dec 28, 2001.

1. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I put some heavy gauge Rotosound RS77LEs on my Ric 4005 50-110 gauge last night and the neck didn't like it. (It was a super stoopid thing to do in retrospect.)

Any recommendations on flats that would be a little more neck friendly?

Thanks!

2. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    The Thomastik-Infeld flats have the lowest tension that I've experienced. They are not cheap, but most players find that the price gets off set by how long they last! I'm sure there will be a bunch of folks that will post similarly who actually DON'T work here, so you might want to wait to hear from some of them ;-)

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've been a fan of the TI Jazz Flats for a while now. Yes, they cost more than your average string. But, that's just it--they are FAR from average. I've had a set on my USA Curbow since April, and they sound better, and better the older they get. Low tension, big sound.

4. Go with the T.I. Flats!Lots of fans here on tb of them.:) I had to go with GHS Brite Flats on my Dano since that is all the guy had in the store.:mad: I would have opted for the TI`s though
    based on all the glowing reviews I have read here.

They gonna cost ya though! $
    My ghs brites were $45.00 but I got them on sale for $32.95.

5. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    i could use some help. ive always used nickel rounds. and i just switched to flats. i bought the fenders (they were cheep, 20 bucks) i love the BIG thump they give you:D now my question, do the ti's have the same thump as the fenders, i know the ti's are nickel but has anyone tried the two. i would gladly pay the extra money if they sound any better then the fenders
    george

6. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Who's the "best" is always a tuffie, but A/B'ing the two sets, I'd say that the TI's have a higher output than the Fenders so they actually bring a little extra thump! The fenders were actually better sounding for me on my "garage sale bass" (it's a real `ho) as the pickups were overly bright and sensitive. The fenders seemed to sound more jazzy on that one as the TI Flats were actually a bit too boomy for that bass. But if you're playing a more normal bass, I highly recommend TI based on the description of what your looking for. For you and others wondering about where to buy them, I suggest the following online stores:

www.mostring.net (1-877-999-2392)
    www.juststrings.com (1-800-822-3953)
    www.bigcitystring.com (203-371-8117)
    www.elderly.com (1-888-473-5810)
    www.melbay.com (1-800-8MEL-BAY)www.gtrs4u.com
    www.mixedcompany.com
    www.musiciansfriend.com (1-800-776-5173)
    New Age Strings 610-678-3057

Here are some links to some other discussion forums. They also have the TI's pretty cheap!

http://pub41.ezboard.com/bthedudepit

www.accessbass.com

I'm about ready to head on home and I wont be back online until 1/02/02 so: HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!

My best,
    Kevin

7. there b-strings are guage .136 thats freakin thick, are they real boomy or what?

8. Hiway61

Hiway61

Nov 24, 2001
    SE Pennsylvania
    I think those Rotosounds were the same ones I tried on my MIA Jazz. Almost pretzeled the neck. I was real happy with Fender's flats (9050) until I found the TIs. Thomguy is right, the TIs have a little more thump, a lot more character than the Fenders. I hear they actually improve with age. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Fenders a lot (especially at half the price). I just like the TIs better.

9. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    thanks for the replys guys, hiway61 that was what i wanted to hear. and thomguy i just ordered a set from just strings. the fenders are still new but its not about the money, its the sound, you want the sound in your head to come out of the speaker cab. thats all that matters. thanks again.
    george

10. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    just wanted to thank u guys. this thread asked and answered the exacts question i had. i use fenders and wondered if there was something a little more neck friendly. so i'm gonna try the ti's.

thanks
    travis
    ;p

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You cannot go wrong with the TI Jazz Flats. Great strings, arguably the best on the market given their tone, feel and tension. I really like the Labella Jamerson set on my '64 P Bass, too. Much different gauge, higher tension different feel. But very rich in the lower mids and bass, just like a P Bass!

12. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Thanks everybody. Got the TIs and couldn't be happier.

13. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    glad you like `em, bro! Happy new year!!

14. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    I really like the La Bella Deep Talkin' black nylon tape strings. They have a very clear, warm sound that cuts through a band extremely well. They've got a great feel to. I highly recomend looking into these strings. It just takes a minute to get over the fact that they really are black.

15. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    Everyone's raving about the TI flats. How would you describe their tone? Is it the dull, percussive, Motown sound, or is more a bright sound? Right now I'm trying to get the Motown type sound, and I've got GHS precision flats on, and they seem to nail it pretty good, but I'm curious about these TI's. BTW, I have a set of LaBella Jamerson flats that I tried, and they had the "thump", but man are those suckers heavy. 52-110 I think they are. You need a bass with a really got neck for those logs....

16. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    randy, i used flats back in the 60's, and the fenders have that 60's sound, you could try there lights i think their .045-.095, i tried the medium .050-.100., they have big time tension, i also tried the daddario chromes, not as much tension and still had the big-time thump, they were a litle brighter then the fenders. i liked them better then the fenders also. i think im sticking with the ti jazz flats, they have that thump of a good flat but they have the best midrange thump i've heard, i also think the ti's are more musical sounding then the other two i tried. any of the three i tried would fit the motown sound ( a fav of mine), but for me i would lean toward the ti's.

17. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Another vote for LaBella black tapewounds... Good thump with enough brightness to cut through and feel great. They last a long time, too.