Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwound string on fretted MIA jazzbass ??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by j3b3r, Dec 9, 2004.

1. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Hello all

I want to strung my 4 string freted MIA jazz with flatwound, will it work ?? Are flats really have dead sound ???
    I want that smooth feel from flatwound.

Any suggestion for string sets ??
    I'm looking for a bright flatwound string, so I can still slap and pop my bass. thx ^^

2. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    No flat will slap like a round. They can be slapped, but it is a very different sound. Even if it is bright, it won't have the sound most people associate with slap.

3. Jazzbasslover

Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    Just try it and see. It might just be right up your alley. Carol Kaye used a P-Bass with flats and a pick. Thats not a combination that I would care for but it worked for her. So, experiment. You might find a combination that you wouldn't consider right for you to be exactly what you need. I never thought I would ever play Fenders. Now thats all I ever play.

4. My friend bought a short scale SX (made in china) J-bass from eBay for $100.

The finish and sunburst-3 color is much nicer than my MIM-P... go figure.

Anyway, he equipped this short scale bass with a set of Fender 9050M stainless flats. The bass still is very J-sounding, albeit not as bright as it would be with rounds. He is not a slapper, but is really enjoying his new bass and Fender flats.

As a newbie bassist and long-time guitar player, he was playing my MIM-P for quite awhile (TI Flats) but couldn't get with the 34" scale. He much prefers the J+flats tone, to my P+TI Flats.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I had TI flats on my MIJ Jazz (long since gone) and it sounded incredible. I am going to be putting Chromes on my MIA Jazz. Can't beat that combo for a ballsy blues-rock band :)

Dan

6. I tried the flats/jazz thing and I didn't like the sound. I felt it robbed the jazz bass of a lot of growl. I prefer rounds and if I need to tone it down, I use the tone knob to great effect.