Flatwound String Recommendation for a 4 String Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hoyt, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    71BCF694-BC87-4333-A9C6-0E9D27CAAECC.jpeg I might be playing bass soon for a 50’s, 60’s, & 70’s era pop rock band. Think any song that might be on an Austin Powers movie soundtrack.

I have an Ibanez Artcore AGB140 strung up with TI flats that might work well, but I would also like to be able to utilize my Warwick FNA Jazzman (4 string).

The drummer is pretty opposed to 5 strings for whatever reason, so my custom 5 string with the D’Addario XL Chromes on it is out (until I can establish a good working relationship and show him there’s no reason to be fear the 5’er, hehe).

My question is, has anyone tried a set of flatwounds on a Warwick and found out that they could get that classic 60’s bass tone with it?

I was thinking that a set of Labella (Jamerson) flats might minimize the brightness and articulation of an active bass and yield a somewhat authentic “thump” maybe in combination with some foam under the bridge and some onboard EQ tweaking.

Any suggestions?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Any flats on your Warwick will do fine. You don't have to get the Jamerson set. Some EQ and you're good to go.

I don't understand the drummer situation. Is he the band leader? Does he have a specific objection to the five string?

Aqualung60 and Hoyt like this.
  3. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    He is the band leader. I’m unsure of his objection as well, but I wonder if was a victim of an overplayed B string at some point.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't know. Maybe because I'm not a working musicians there's something I'm missing but if you have a bass with flats already that'll work for your situation then maybe he can buy you some flats to put on the Warwick. It's like you telling him you don't like when he uses certain sticks.

edencab, somegeezer and Hoyt like this.
  5. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    It's a phones-with-rotary-dials-era band, and I'm going out on a limb here, but your custom bass probably does not look like it is from that era? were I leading it, I'd probably also want to project an image that a furniture bass just would not fit. Get a squeiuier vmp5 and a piece of foam and you'll both be happy.

Pirate Captain and Hoyt like this.
  6. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just get the La Bella 760FL set. They have lots of authentic thump. You don't need to get the Jamerson set unless you want a ton of extra tension and stiffness for some reason.

Hoyt likes this.
  7. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    I can’t afford a new bass.

8. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    @Hoyt same here.

I had chromes on my corvette std and though there are aspects of their sound that I liked a lot, even after 1000's of hrs there was an annoying upper-mid "Ding" that would come through far more than chromes on my fenders and epi eb3 on most fingerstyle positions. To subdue it to an acceptable level I resigned myself to almost exclusively plucking with my thumb. I put boomer rounds on just before selling the vette and tried just dumping the treble knob and dropped the bass knob a little below center and sounded so close to my p with chromes wide open that I really regretted committing to the buyer.

GHS precision flats get great reviews here and they're my next bass-related purchase.

Hoyt likes this.
  9. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    41071729-685E-44B2-A01A-7DFCA783C631.jpeg My custom 5 string looks pretty conservative, so I don’t think that the aesthetics are what bother the drummer.

The band doesn’t play in period correct dress or anything.

MattZilla likes this.
  10. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    I put the Chromes on my custom and so far I like the feel and tension, but they’re WAY too bright. I’ve been cutting the treble on the EQ to get by until they break in.

Part of that may have to do with the Lane Poor p’ups & Bart EQ on a maple/walnut/maple sandwich. This bass already has a lot of high mid content.

The Warwick is Maple/Ash, but the MEC p’ups/Seymour Duncan EQ are very detailed. It is a 3 Band EQ with a push/pull mid scoop on the volume knob, so I’m guessing I can get something I can work with even with the D’Addario Chromes.

11. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    @Hoyt yeah, on my wick they started "WAY too" and only mellowed to "too". That's why I ended with mention of GHS. I'd recommend staying away from chromes on a bright bass like these since classic tones are what you're after. Best wishes.

Hoyt likes this.
  12. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    I have a set of Dunlop flats on my Jazz bass that are great.

Hoyt likes this.
  13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Try to find used Squier CV60P (Sonic blue or Fiesta red) + a set of Labella LTF4A (Instant broke in sound from open pack) + Foam mute

Problem solve !

14. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    TI Jazz flats. Very vintage tone and one set will last years.

Hoyt likes this.
  15. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Of the flats I have tried, the labella 760fl's were the thumpiest old school sounding. Not my favorite, so they went on my fretless p bass. TI flats are my favorites. Although I didn't like them on my active bass. For lack of a better term, they just didn't sound 'big', or 'deep', to me. My go to flats for my active are cobalt flats. They are bright like chromes, but the cobalts have a mid growl that I personally love the sound of. And they don't have that clank I couldn't get rid of with chromes. I can get a reasonable old school sound out of the cobalts, but in no way would I call them old school sounding flats.
    My choice would be the labellas. The ghs precision flats are super thumpy, but the tension and string gauge is too much for me.

Hoyt likes this.
  16. I had the same problem with my dog and our vacuum cleaner, a little patience and familiarization with it should work. Drummers are almost as intelligent as dogs.....almost......:)

Hoyt likes this.
  17. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    Unless the drummer gives you a specific issue - and the only valid one I can think of would be period correctness - I think I'd have to push back. Unless the pay is really good or something, I'd just see how reacts to you telling him what drums to play. Maybe you go with the no 5 string rule, but tell him you don't work with drummers that use a floor tom(or fill in the blank with something he uses).

jchrisk1 likes this.
  18. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    Honestly, I’m not too concerned about it. I like playing all of my basses and I’m just getting back into bass guitar after mostly playing upright for the last 5 or 6 years, so some gig time on my 4 string basses is fine with me.

Besides, it’s hard to find competent musicians to play with close to home and I already like the drummer and guitar player as friends.

Now, if he tells me that I need to buy a P-Bass to be in the band, I’ll have to pass on this opportunity because strings are barely within my budget and I don’t want to trade in any other basses I own in order to buy one.

I think the Warwick strung up with (as yet undecided) flats through my Orange Terror Bass 1000 & my Greenboy F212 should sound pretty damn tasty for these songs.

MattZilla likes this.
  19. Eikari

Eikari

Jun 21, 2015
    Iceland
    fender flats. roto growl without fingers noise.

Hoyt likes this.
  20. Baltimore Bass

Baltimore Bass

Jul 14, 2016
    Baltimore
    GHS flats are hands-down my favorite. Play the crap out of them, and they'll settle in nicely in a month or two. Much richer and more musical than Chromes, cheaper than TI's, and infinitely better than the garbage that Rotosound tries to pass as a "flatwound."

Hoyt likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021