Flatwound string tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassonic, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Bassonic

Bassonic

Sep 30, 2017
    Hi guys,
    I searched on DR website, but i didn't found the specifications about string tension.
    I currently have a set of DR Low-rider(45-105) on my Yamaha trbx174EW 34"scale bass.
    Low rider are great strings, but i want to try some flatwounds.
    Can you recommend me some flatwounds that have tension similary like Low-rider, or maybe even less, it doesn't matter
    which brand, D'Addario, Labella...etc..,etc.

2. DR Lo-Riders 45-105, being hex-core, would have similar tension (ie pulling weight) to the GHS Boomers 45-105, which weigh in at 185 lbs. GHS Precision Flats 45-105 have almost identical tension as the Boomers.

If by "tension" you mean "stiffness/flexibility" (ie playing feel), you might want to go down one size when going from rounds to flats.

3. Bassonic

Bassonic

Sep 30, 2017
    Yes, i ask because i'm worried about pulling weight, but also i wanna just a little more flexibility, i use Low-rider almost a year without changing and they are great, but i wanna something little more warm and just little more flexible. I play fingerstyle and also with pick, from jazzy things to the indie rock. Also I saw some clips of Scott Devine on youtube with Nylon Taperwound string and they also sound interesting, and i wanna know how long can last, and how they sound for example after 6 months because of nylon?

4. Warm and flexible? Try either the GHS Precision Flats 45-95, or La Bella Low Tension Flats 42-100.

Can't comment on tapewounds as I have no experience with them.

5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Vote for labella LTF4A if you prefer LD school vibe; for round flat tone I vote Tijf344.

Both Tension and stiffness feel is very close to 40-100 nickel roundwound string.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    If you can live with the tension and stiffness of DR lorider, I would recommend DR hibeam legend Flatwound. This Flatwound absolutely break in tone along with fast note decay out from pack.

7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Flatwounds are inherently stiffer than roundwounds, so for more flexibility you will need to compensate by dropping gauge to 40-100 or possibly lower. Actual pull tension will fall of course.

8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Most flats have a little more tension than equal size rounds. And they feel stiffer with less flex than most rounds. Daddario Chromes EBC84 feels very close to (45-105) rounds, and they have a brighter than most flats sound when they're new. Once they break in, they sound like most standard flatwounds. The EBC81 feel larger and takes some adjustment with right hand attack to get the same feel as the rounds. With the EBC84 it feels much closer to rounds that's why I like them. Great if you play one bass with rounds and another with flats.

9. I started out with D'A EXL165 Nickel Rounds (45-65-85-105), so when I decided to try the Chromes, I went with ECB84 (40-60-80-100). And that seemed to work quite well.

That said, I prefer the Fender 9050L (45-60-80-100) over the ECB84. About the same playing feel in terms of stiffness, but the 9050L is better balanced in terms of tone.

10. Tbsx

Tbsx Troll Inactive

Sep 12, 2017
    I'll second that. I bought a set after seeing this video:

Flats are much stiffer. It's like pressing down on fence wire. But if you get used to them, they're really great. Much easier to slide up and down the neck.

11. stringtheory6

stringtheory6

Nov 20, 2008
    SoCal
    Hmm, that's the statement I hear when shopping for strings from acoustic six string to bass. Strings of the same gauge may exhibit differences in tension by:

- string core size, material and shape (round or hex)
    - manufacturers construction techniques
    - inner and outer winding size
    - metallic variances within an alloy type

All could be important factors to consider when shopping tension variances.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021