Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwound Strings for 5-string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MoltarRocks, Jan 10, 2003.

1. GHS Tapewound

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Carvin Flatwound

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. D'Addario Half Round

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D'Addario Chromes Flat

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  5. Ken Smith Compression Wound (dunno if these are flat or not)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dean Markley Flatwound

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. Rotosound Jazz Bass

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Rotosound Tru Bass flatwound

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. Thomastik Infeld flatwounds

24 vote(s)
    46.2%
  10. Something else

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. I'm looking for opinions on the best flatwound strings to buy. I am putting them on my Cort Curbow 5-string fretless. I want to use a string that won't harm the fretboard. (Yes, even ebonol gets scratched by roundwounds.)

2. Having just purchased a fretless 5 string I would like to see the results of this poll!!

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the TI Flats won't fit on a 35'scale bass, so make sure yours isn't 35' scale.

4. The Rotosounds. I ordered them from Musician's Friend. I'll post a review once I get them.

The Thomastik's are a bit pricey for me right now.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

Can anyone recommend good flats that will fit a 35 incher? So far I've tried Chromes and they seem good, although if you put them on right after you've cleaned your bass, get ready for disappointment (they produce messy powder!).

I'd like to try a couple other brands so I know what's out there...I really wish TI would make longer scale strings. Maybe we should write them?

6. They do work on some 35" basses. It depends on the distance between the bridge saddle and the ball end anchor. The distance is small enough on my Modulus that the TI Flats work just fine.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SIT flats are my current choice. not too tight, not too loose, thick and thumpy, yet bright enough to slap

8. The TI Jazz Flats fit my BTB405 with 35" scale. Although, the B string just barely fits by just a 1/4" to spare. Thomastik-Infeld does say that their Jazz flats do fit some 35" scale basses, so don't rule them out yet.

9. I spent a small fortune on/for Thomastik-Infeld Flats on my custom fretless 5, but the sound and feel are out of this world.
    They(Thomastik-Infeld) would be my choice as a recommendation.

I'm experimenting with some Rotosound flats on my Jazz, not quite as warm a feeling as the Thomastik-Infeld's, but quite workable.
    I'm trying flats for the first time ever, quite a difference in playing Roundies and Flats....I'm still in early stages.
    I couldn't handle the excess noise with my round-wound on the fretless basses.

10. I ordered a set of Lakland Joe Osborn flats, medium gauge, last night. I'll post a detailed review when I pop 'em on my FBB fretted 5--if the BP review is any yardstick, they should be slappably loose yet very mellow, which is what I'm looking for since my sound is currently a bit too aggressive.

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I currently have a set of Labella stainless steel flats on my SR5. I like them alot as they take some of the edge off and mellow things out for the blues band I'm in.

12. I've got the JO5s on my bass right now, and while they're intentionally dead-sounding (although the D and G are quite lively), the B is excellent. Lots of focus.

13. on my four, i always use chromes. on my fretted as well. i love those strings. i suppose you could say that i "<3" them. i dunno how the five sets are, though.
    you can wipe 'em down with a cloth before you put them on, and i gets rid of the residue stuff almost completely.

14. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I've tried a couple different sets on fretless 5's. My faves were the TI Jazz flats. Low tension compared to most flats, very playable. Second were the GHS Brite flats. Smooth feeling with some brightness. Then, the Chromes. Tight, and thuddy.

I also like SIT Silencers. They're just short of nickel rounds, in terms of feel and brightness. They say "inverse wound". They're closer to rounds than flats.

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I love D'Addario half-rounds and use them on my fretted bass, but I voted for the Chromes because the half-rounds are not true flats. The half-rounds are essential for getting my tone though. :)

16. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah, that's half the reason I won't use roudnwounds. I hate the noise they make when rubbed, I hate how they feel on my fingers, and I don't like rounds tone near as much as flats. I have a very bright style of playing (not a digger) and they really mellow out the tone nicely.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    LaBella "Deep Talkin' Bass" flats. They sound great on my Dean Edge 5 Fretless.

Get the "Extra Long" set for a 35" bass. I got the regular set and the "E" string was too short though all the other strings fit perfectly. LaBella replaced the "E" string for free, how bout that for customer service!:bassist: :)

18. i got rotosound jazz flats on my bass collection 5'er, i much prefer flats to rounds as they eliminate quite a bit of string noise and brightness (my preference). And i think flats have a higher tension (??) so they're great for the low B.

*Si*

19. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    This isn't always true- TI makes some very low-tension flats that feel "flopy" cmopared to, say, D'Addario Chromes that are very high tension. The Chromes will give you a nice tight B. The TI's are much nicer to play fo rextended periods due to the softer fell of the string though.

20. I have used both D'Addario Chrome Flats and TI Jazz Flats. I don't have a complaint against either. Although the TI's have a lower rated tension, the B is not floppy. The TI's are my string of choice and haven't used anything else for over six months now.