flatwound strings for (semi) hollow short scale basses help needed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ballynally, Jul 2, 2017.

1. ballynally

ballynally

Jun 25, 2017
    I'm looking for strings for my short scale Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat (chambered mahogany body/maple ply top/30" scale). I play mostly old style rock n roll/country/motown.. well, call it roots music. I play mostly with a pick but ballads with fingers (due to being a guitar player i want to keep my nails which is a drawback).
    On my full scale basses (P bass mostly) i primarily use D'addario Chromes Lights (45-100) and intend to use them on the Epi. I like flat wounds with a bit of zing and i've been very happy with the Chromes after trying tape wounds and the standard flat wounds. A few issues i need to clear up. First and foremost, the tension. As far as i can gather short scale need higher tension/stiffness strings than full scale basses, right?
    If i go for the short scale Chromes they only come in 45-100 (like on my full scale 35" P bass). Will that do? Second, are there any other flat wounds that have a similar 'zing' as the Chromes and would be better suited for the short scale semi hollow?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    The short scale Chromes should work for you. That's about as light as I would go with any short scale strings, myself. They may not feel as tight as the long scale Chromes, but I find that's pretty much true of short scale strings in general-unless they're really beefy. The 65-115 Roto 88 tapes on one of my violin basses, for example, are stiff as a board... I don't use D'Addario strings myself (they make my hands itch), but as flats go, Chromes are generally regarded as pretty "zingy". And, I'm not sure any of the other flatwounds that would fit that description are available in short scale. Personally, "zingy" is the last thing I want from flats; I mostly use Optimas, GHS Precision Flats, and La Bellas. I prefer old school thump for what I play.. I do have a couple of sets of long scale Chromes, and if I can bring myself to go thru the time-wasting rigamarole of cleaning them, I may put them on something. But, if the "zing" doesn't go away pretty quick, they'll go away pretty quick...:whistle:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  3. Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Baltimore Bass likes this.
  4. I had a Allen Woody and it did great with the short scale GHS Precision strings. They were a little less tension wise but still have the punch. I thought the Chromes when I tried them worked very well.

5. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Labella low tension flats. Awesome strings , tone and tension.

Back2Bassic and LarryBama like this.
  6. ballynally

ballynally

Jun 25, 2017
    yes, that would be my first choice after the chromes f my P bass but i'm not sure about the low tension f my ss..

7. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I know they come with a 75 gauge A string now and a lot of guys are digging that. same tension as a 70. I play TI's on my jazz and feel these on my pbass are perfect tension above the TI's. I will switch the jazz over to these, I like them that much. These on my p bass just get that classic p bass tone. I love them.

8. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    I have never been satisfied with chromes on my RumbleKat.
    Honestly I think this guitar works better with rounds.
    Just my opinion.

Tvrtko likes this.
  9. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I just got one of those Rumblekats. Factory strings are, probably, some sort of Rotosounds or some Chinese wannabe Rotosound. That thing has to go. I just ordered GHS Pressurewounds, hoping to be exactly what is needed. Yes, Rumblekat is "pick" instrument, created at that way with guitar-converted pickups. I am hoping to get it sing with GHS strings.

10. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    Pressure wounds sound great on it. I'm using boomers now and I'm happy.

Tvrtko likes this.
  11. Back2Bassic

Back2Bassic

Feb 24, 2019
    The problem with those D'Addario strings is that they have blue ends which looks weird with the red and gold color of the Rumblekat.

12. Back2Bassic

Back2Bassic

Feb 24, 2019
    I’m looking into these strings but I saw the gauge was 45-95, did that still play with the mellow bass sound flats should? I’m used to medium gauge and that’s still a little light for me so just wondering.

13. The short scale Precisions are less tight than the long scale ones. The short scale Chromes are about as high tensioned as their long scale cousins. I have even used them in dropped D tuning (DGCF) and their tension was not floppy. Another set you might consider is the Bright Flats short scale. The E string is .107 May be what you are looking for.

Back2Bassic likes this.
  14. Back2Bassic

Back2Bassic

Feb 24, 2019
    Could you possibly provide a link for these strings?

15. Go to the GHS website and DAdarrio site to get the lowdown on gages and tension measurements. By the way, as one player said, THE Pressure Wounds sound really good on a Allan Woody. And, before I forget, my Woody 's bridge did not fit .107 E strings that I remember. Good luck!

Back2Bassic likes this.
  16. ballynally

ballynally

Jun 25, 2017
    After going back to my Precision (with Chromes) for regular gigs i set up my RumbleKat w tape wounds (Graphic) for more acoustic gigs.Really sweet and a tad loose but just right.

Back2Bassic likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021