1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwound strings for Squier mini Precision bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassbourne, Nov 10, 2020.

1. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    I recently purchased one of the new Squier mini precision basses for travel and was wondering if anyone knows which short scale flats would fit the bass?

It's a 28.6 inch bass, so I'm assuming most of the 32 inch scale strings will be too long?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  2. What's the actual distance on the bass from where the ball end sits to the E tuner post? The main question is how much of the main body of the E string with 32" winding length (ball end to silk/taper) would end up wrapping around the tuner post?

Some flats are pliable enough not to cause any issues when part of the main body of the E string wraps around the post.

3. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. It's about 80.5 cm (roughly 31.7 inches) from the ball to the E tuner post.

If there are any short scale flats you can recommend based on those measurements I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

4. Dunlop Flats come in "short scale" with 32" winding length (ball end to silk), meaning only a very small part (0.3") of the main body of the E string will ride on the post. They're also one of the more flexible flats with mostly positive reviews around here.

Dunlop Flatwound Electric Bass Strings Short Scale Set - 4-String 45-105 DBFS45105S

5. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    Ah, Dunlop sounds good. I've tried the long scale version and I liked those. Does that mean most 32" strings will be suitable? Or should I generally aim for shorter if I can find them?

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

6. I'm not aware of any flatwound bass strings that come shorter than 32" in winding length. The Dunlops should work fine on your bass even if the E string ends up being a bit too long.

bassbourne likes this.
  7. The German company Pyramid will make you a set. Pricey strings but great. I’d ask La Bella too.

bassbourne likes this.
  8. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    Thanks for the tip. I like La Bella and have heard good things about Pyramid. Hoping not to spend too much, but will consider those if I can't find what I want.

Root 5 likes this.
  9. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
  10. Check out the LaBella Low Tension Flats

11. About an inch of the main body of the E string will wrap around the tuner post. As long as you don't mind the cosmetic imperfection, they should be okay as the GHS Precision Flats are pliable enough not to break even when the main body rides on the post.

When I tried the "long plus" (38" winding) on my P bass, the same thing happened. But no issues.

GHS P Flat E (800x450).jpg

staurosjohn and bassbourne like this.
  12. Check out the LaBella Low Tension Flats. They are available in a short scale, 32 1/4 inches. La Bella Strings I have them on one of my two go-to basses ( the other has TI’s) and used them on three basses I set up for friends. They love them. To me, they are smoooth and easy to play. I like a pretty low action. Try a piece of foam under the strings at the bridge for a little more old-school tone.

bassbourne likes this.
  13. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    That's good to know.

The look doesn't bother me at all, especially with this bass.

Reckon I'll go with the GHS then! Good price here and heard mostly good things so far.

Root 5 likes this.
  14. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    Thanks for the tip. Are they very loose and floppy feeling? I've noticed the medium rounds that came stock on the bass feel a tad too floppy so ideally I wouldn't want to go any lower.

15. Something you should know about the La Bella Low Tension Flats...

La Bella is the only company who explicitly warns against having any of the main body of the flatwound string wrapping around the tuner post.

Here's from their website:

"Short Scale Set: 32 1/4″ wound length from ball-end to silk; only silk portion of the string should wrap around the tuning post."
    32 1/4" = 1/2" too long for your bass according to the info you provided earlier.

DavesnothereCA and pcake like this.
  16. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    Oh thanks for the warning. Yeah, I'll stick with GHS then I think.

Perhaps a stupid question, but just to clarify, how come the La Bella's 32 1/4" wind is too long for my bass, but the 32.75" wind of the GHS is okay? Do you simply mean because in the La Bella's case none of the main body of the string can wrap around the tuner post, but in the GHS' case it's okay?

17. This is my non-expert guess based on what I've read, but I think it has to do with the material and the construction of the strings. Some flats (like La Bella) are very rigid with a tightly-wound stainless steel ribbon wire that's formulated to be hard and brittle, while others (like GHS) are a little more pliable and bendable, making it possible for the main body of the string to wrap around the tuner post without breaking.

18. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    That makes sense. Well, thanks again. Should be all the info I need!

19. Not trying to change your mind...but will answer one of your questions and offer another consideration. I have GHS Precision Flats on one of my basses. The E string main body wraps around the tuner post, same as michael_t. No problems so far. I don’t dislike the GHS’s, but they feel stiffer and higher tension than the LaBellas. To me, the LaBellas are not too floppy. I prefer them over the GHS. But I would not go against the manufacturers recommendations since I have no experience doing so.
    A friend loaned me his vintage Fender Bullet short scale bass for a while. It had Fender flat wounds and was very comfortable and enjoyable to play. I also have a pawn shop Squire P bass with Fender flats that I converted to a fletless. It also plays very well. Unfortunately, I didn’t spend any time comparing the Fender flats to other strings before I defretted it. I like them and am not planning to change them.
    Disclaimer: I’m more old school and play old country, some classic rock, gospel and worship. I like a warm tone. Your style may be different.
    I recently test drove a Fender Mustang, I think, short scale. Felt like it was mine. Would like one. Have fun, whatever you chose!

bassbourne likes this.
  20. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

La Bella makes a special set for Gold Tone, 25" scale with a good amount of silk section, I use them on my 24" scale bass ukes. From ball to silk is 28 inches, Gold Tone MicroBass Flatwound Strings

bassbourne likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021