1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwound strings identification please?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KenB, Nov 2, 2018.

1. KenB

KenB

Jul 15, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    I recently purchased a new JMJ Mustang Bass from Sweetwater. The bass was technically a "demo", as it was the one hanging on the showroom wall. It has a MX17xxxxxx serial number, so made in 2017, and could have been on the wall for almost a year.

Anyway, the strings pictured here are the set that were on the bass when I bought it. They don't appear to be anything like the Fender 9050L flats that are supposed to come standard on a JMJ Mustang, and that were installed on the two other JMJs that I tried out. The Fender 9050Ls on the two other mustangs had green silk wrap, and appeared to be "regular" long scale strings (the green silk wrap disappeared around the tuner posts on the E and A, and ended an inch "north" of the retainer on the D and G).

Anyway, the strings here have black silk on the tuner ends, no silk on the ball ends, and are a medium scale set (the silk on the E ends just as the string leaves the post). They have hex core wire, and the outer windings are VERY smooth.
    The gauges I measure with a micrometer are .050 .066 .078 .100 .

Strings JMJ.
    The strings were well broken in, with a nice "old school" mellow, thumpy sound. Almost NO high end at all. Very different from the 9050Ls on the other two Mustangs.

The techs at Sweetwater were stumped, couldn't tell me what brand of strings these are, or even if they were factory-original on my bass or were a replacement set.

I would like to buy a new set of "whatever" these strings are, but I can't find anything similar from any of the usual manufacturers.

Anyone have an idea what these are? Could they be some sort of "generic"?

Thanks!

2. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    They look like LaBella flats, made for string through body Mustang basses.

michael_t likes this.
  3. KenB

KenB

Jul 15, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Thanks, TimB,

I bought a set of the LaBella 760F-MUS flats (made for the string-through mustang) to try. They have red silk on both ends, and the gauges are very different (.043 .060 .082 .104). They also are not as smooth to the touch as the set in question. LaBella doesn't appear to make any medium scale sets with black silk, and none of their gauges match .050 .066 .078 .100 .

4. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    Hmmm, that is a tough one. If they were pressurewound, I'd say GHS. The only other string maker I can think of, who uses black silks on the end, is Dunlop. They have a short scale flat, but I honestly don't know if it would be long enough for a string through Mustang.
    I'd like to see how this pans out.

5. KenB

KenB

Jul 15, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    I’m surprised none of you string “afficionados” on this forum have come across a string set like this. I’ve searched the various forums (including a bunch of string identification threads), done numerous internet image searches, and gone “Google- y” eyed looking at photos of headstocks, used strings, etc.

I just don’t see any flat wound string sets with black silk out there, especially ones available in medium scale. I’ve checked out D’Addario, GHS, LaBella, Dunlop, Black Diamond, and others, including a few “boutique” makers. Nothing!

Sounds silly, but I’m really caught up in this mystery!

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Look like La Bella 760FHBB set 50-100

The giveaway is the very thin tuning post section. On the 760FHBB (black silk beatle bass set) it is made to go into guitar tuners.

Also the strings pictured do not have the "thru-body" tail ends like the Mustang set. However since these strings are a lighter gauge they can get away going through body.

vgbassman likes this.
  7. KenB

KenB

Jul 15, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Thanks, SLaPiNFuNK, you nailed it! Even the gauges match perfectly.

Also, thanks for the mention/explanation of the very thin tuner section. That explains the reason I couldn’t reinstall the original set - the silk on the G string end had unraveled, and the thin bare wire wouldn’t stay on the post. Kept slipping off.

Thanks again!

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Yeah those strings dont do well on standard tuners. I dont suggest using those strung thru body in the future either.