1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flatwound strings on a Ibanez AEB5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by notverygood, Oct 30, 2010.

1. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    Would I buy short or long scale GHS flatwounds? The 32 scale is confusing me a bit. Thanks.

2. How are you gonna set the intonation at the bridge without adjustable saddles once you do this string change?

Flats are a lot thicker and you're gonna have a hard time moving a solid piece of bone or moving the bridge on the top of the body.

Funny - I was just talking to a luthier about this very subject and with my AEB10 - he said it won't work well - but if you don't mind being flat AND sharp at the same time - and the extra pressure it puts on the glue holding the bridge on the top of the box - and a few other things like flats don't like making that really tight turn and pulling out the bridge pins and --- well, he said it wasn't a good idea.

3. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    bummer. guess I'll keep looking. thanks anyway

4. I don't want to put you off the AEB - it's just that no acoustic in less than higher-ended prices brackets are going to have adjustable saddles I believe - I don't even think I've seen any since the relative higher mass of an adjustable saddle kinda sucks a lot of tone out of an acoustic.

Personally I love the round wound bronzes and the one thing I think I get out of it that isn't mentioned much - is that it greatly improves my playing on other round-wound strings on any guitar.

You just sharpen up you fretting technique to keep the noise to a minimum - and that's all for the good I feel.

If the AEB is a training aid, then so be it - but I use mine all the time and gig/jam with it a lot because it just does everything so well.

5. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    Thanks for the link. This will be the first string change I've ever done on an AEB so I'm not familiar whith what works well and what doesn't. Maybe some type of coated string would mimic the feel of a flatwound. Or maybe I should just get used to the bronze feel. My main problem with the regular strings is the horrible noise when I switch positions a few frets up or down. I realize this is operator error and not the strings fault. I'm amazed by the difference between a electric and an acoustic. Seems like if I start off playing one I can't switch back and forth without taking a break. I guess the answer is practice more. :bassist:

6. I just keep the HIGHs panned low and the LOWs high.

What I like is that the AEB make ME play better. it's a great training aid.

7. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I have a teacher who used flatwounds on an acoustic bass without problems....

Or you could try Nylons strings, like the Labellas or Fender, I've seen people using them on a acoustic bass without problems.

8. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    maybe try some TI Flats as those are low tension, most flats come in light and extra light gauges, I know EB and Daddario make them in a 95-40 gauge

9. Just be careful out there.