1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flatwound strings on a Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ics1974, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    I have never put flats on a Jazz bass before. I do have them on my P Bass. Is there any reason not to on a Jazz?

Pbassmanca and ReasonablyHappy like this.
  2. Mistahbenn

Mistahbenn Supporting Member

May 15, 2007
    Brooklyn
    No

3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Didn't you know that you can only put flats on a P bass with a tort pickguard?! :laugh:

In all seriousness, go for it and see if you like it. There's nothing wrong with flats on a Jazz Bass.

4. ReasonablyHappy

ReasonablyHappy

Aug 1, 2018
    America
    I’ve run flats on one of mine for a couple years. It feels great coupled with the good ergonomics the jazz already has. Do you know which flats you’re gonna put on? No shortage of opinions on which to use, but I say do it!

Pbassmanca and TN WOODMAN like this.
  5. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    I have flats on mine - sounds great

Rapisme, Pbassmanca and TN WOODMAN like this.
  6. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Ive wondered this as well...my main jazz is a tad on the dark/warm side and thought with flats it could be to much?

7. I love love love my Jazz with flats. Even a bit more than my Ps with flats. I have Fender flats, the fat Labella Jamerson set and Labella low tension flats. The low tension flats are incredible on my Jazz. Very easy to play and while the Fender do sound a bit more edgy and modern. The Labellas are just warm, thumpy and have that upright sound.
    Once thing I miss on Ps is what happens on a Jazz bass if you turn the treble down and lower the output of the bridge pickup. There is something about that noisy open single coil sound I can't live without it.

J_Bass, zZippy, MattZilla and 2 others like this.
  8. Steve88

Steve88

Mar 27, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    Flats on a jazz sounds fantastic. Ive used it as my main sound for a couple of extended periods. Ill probably string one of my j's with flats permanently at some point.

Pbassmanca, Mod7, IPA and 2 others like this.
  9. I love the sound of flats on a Jazz bass.

That said, not all flats are created equal and it's a bit trickier to find the right flats for a J than for a P. So far, the Fender 9050L have worked the best on my J.

russellh86, Pbassmanca, Mod7 and 2 others like this.
  10. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Another testimonial for the labella low tension flats. I have them on a 06ish American deluxe jazz V and the bass sounds great!

11. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I have flats on all my basses. P basses, Jazz basses, Jack Casady basses, Tacoma thunderchief, all wearing TI Jazz flats.

Bodeanly, Scotthayer, Holdsg and 7 others like this.
  12. I tried a variety of strings and guages on both jazz and precisions. A jazz with flats is my main bass.

IPA likes this.
  13. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Now that I'm seeing this I have flats on two active J Basses and will string up a passive J with flats. I love the way a Jazz Bass sounds with flats.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  14. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Two words: Joe Osborn

ak56, Pet Sounds, Pbassmanca and 5 others like this.
  15. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    When the Jazz Bass first appeared in 1960, the only strings that were available were flats.

zZippy, -Asdfgh- and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. jpmcbride

jpmcbride

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pbassmanca, IPA and Spaceman Ian like this.
  17. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I’ll second that. I’m a die hard La Bella fan, but I can’t deny that Fender flats sound better than La Bellas on a Jazz.

The bite and growl is incredible.

Marihino, Pbassmanca and Krizz like this.
  18. Funny you should mention La Bella... I tried the 760FL on my J once and was unimpressed. Almost like they were too "polite and refined", while the Fender 9050s sounded "rude and unrefined" but in a good way, if that makes any sense.

19. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I think that’s what Leo did when he made the first one.