Flatwound strings that do not "break in" soon?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HazyMan, Dec 25, 2018.

1. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    I put a set of Ernie Ball Group IV Flats on my bass and they were surprisingly bright )I am one of those people who really like the extremely bright tone that SS strings offer). One or two weeks later they kinda broke in, which is expected from a flat. My question is: What's the longest period a Flatwound can take to break in? If there is any Flatwound string that does not break in soon, then it might just be the ideal string for me, since i actually like the initial bright sound the flats have.

2. I've had La Bella's on my Precision for about six months and they're still settling in... but the tone was never what I'd call 'bright' to start with. Rotosound are regarded as one of the brighter flats but I couldn't vouch for their long-term sound as I sold the bass they were fitted to! Have you tried half-wounds? I tried some Status Hotwires some years ago which were pretty good, but again I couldn't say how they'd perform long-term.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Fender, Chromes, and Ernie Ball Slinky flats stay bright for a long while.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  4. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Chromes. The "non flatwound flatwound". I've had Chromes on a Veilette archtop for YEARS. very bright. Very warm. You can even slap and Pop em. Definitely the best flats for a non traditional sound.

Mvilmany and jmlee like this.
  5. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    The other non traditional flat is T.I. I hate em. Many people swear by them. It's all a matter of taste.

6. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Thank you people. Just one question regarding Fenders and Chromes. Would they be the same in terms of life or do Chromes last longer?

7. I believe Fenders are made by D'addario... but to Fender specs (so they're not the same as Chromes). I've not tried Chromes but the Fenders are bright and very smooth-feeling. Great strings and not too pricey.

HazyMan likes this.
  8. Based on my experience, the Chromes stay brighter longer in the sense they retain their hi-mid clank longer. Fender 9050s are slightly warmer with nice grindy mids once broken in.

HazyMan, Lance Bunyon and shawshank72 like this.
  9. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    All Flats go through a “maturing” process. Enjoy each stage and play/EQ accordingly! :thumbsup:

quickfix and Frodolicious like this.
  10. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Impossible. I can't enjoy "dead" sounding strings and EQ will never bring that fresh metallic sound back. I just feel like i've found more tone satisfaction out of Flats than Rounds because i can feel Rounds dying more quickly. I'll get a set of Fender Pure Nickels and if they go dead soon, i will try Chrome Flats.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  11. D’Addarrio Chromes are amazing!

This is what mine sound like on my 73’ Jazz

red_rhino, TC424, jmlee and 1 other person like this.
  12. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    I used D'addario half rounds for a long time. Right in between, sound--wise, and never went fully dead. Limited guages, I remember them being pretty light/loose.

13. TIs. They mellow down just a bit and then sound the same for years! I don’t believe they will ever go dead. My current set is 3+ years old

Gizmot, jmon and Element Zero like this.
  14. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Fender flats and Chromes are less bright than EB flats. The OP probably won’t like either.

15. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    What about Rotosound Steve Haris flatwounds, anybody?

bombpop14 likes this.
  16. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    If metallic is the sound you are going for I’m not sure Flats are really the way to go in the first place. Not impossible I guess but kind of square peg round hole mentallity to begin with. Maybe I missed the point of the OP. I love my Flats for the warm tone and interesting midrange. TI are my Flats of choice. I have several sets on different basses that are varying ages. 1-5 years old. They all seem to play a little different as they age.

17. I second the Steve Harris flats...

jmon likes this.
  18. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ********

Dec 22, 2016
    Upstate, NY USA
    I've had the same LaBellas on my "motown" P for six years and they are just starting to sound right

C M Stevens likes this.
  19. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK?

EB Cobalts, feel like a flat sounds like a round.
    Chromes
    RotoLD 77s.
    You want bright and long lasting bright flat-ish tone? look at pressure wounds, half rounds.
    Best ground wound imo GHS Brite flats.

Clifford Lee likes this.
  20. My favorites are chromes. I have one set I've had on a bass for about 2-3 years, another set about two months old. I can't tell much of a difference between the two. So I'd say if you like the sound of the chromes after a couple of months, that's where they will stay.

quickfix and btmpancake like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021