Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwound Strings?!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CactusJack, Jan 13, 2004.

1. I have always played roundwound strings and after a brief hammering of my friends bass who plays flatwound strings I thought...hhhmmmmm, smooth!

Does anyone know if there is any loss in tone or sound quality when using flatwound strings over roundwound?!

Also, I play a 5-string guitar which I mostly use for heavy, mudvayne-esque kinda stuff, so can anyone recommend any flatwound strings for this application?!?

Thanks!

2. I suggest trying the Thomastik -Infield Jazz Flats, they sound bright and tight for all applications. I use the JF345's.

You can purchase online HERE

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Another suggestion for the TI Jazz Flats here. I, too, use the JF345's and fully agree with Treena.

4. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Treena, you sound like someone I should listen to.

;)

5. Treena, I know you from the CK forum, so it's no surprise to see you come out for TI Jazz Flats! :D (I usually post there as "Larry")

Just after I bought my Fender P-Bass, I decided to try some Fender Flats .50-.105 because of Carol's influence. Wow! I feel much more in control of my sound! Almost like an upright. No squeaks or string noise.

And it's not just for pick players! In a new bass mag, it turns out Steve Harris of Iron Maiden has been using them forever.

About the only downside is slapping doesn't ring out like I like it to.

Give 'em a try!

6. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
    I'm using the SIT Power Flats on my new Benavente Fretless.... I love them. It is a different sound with a different harmonic overtone.

Not for everything you do. But DEFINITLY a must for your tool kit of basses.

If you want to cry and whine...go fretless flat....very emotional strings.

7. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Although my name may give the impression that I may be here to offer some input...I actually got nothing much to add...except that the Kinkster rocks, and so do you stingus!

:D

8. TI's JF345 are just about the best string ever invented, IMHO.

They take some getting used to, though, because of the loose feel.

I use them on a Yammy RBX270 Fretless. Budget bass, true, but the strings are superb and the sound is really good: plenty of tone variation by just using the bass' own controls. Shame they're going up in price. £30 for a 4 string set in UK, online purchase. A bit too much for us hobby, non-money-earning-from-music players.

Just wondered whether anyone had any wisdom on the Fender flats?

John

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've gotten some rounds from this small English company, but now I see they make flatwounds as well. You can sometimes even request custom gauges from them:

www.newtonestrings.com

10. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
    Half rounds are another string sound alltogether closer to a round when new and their own breed of dullness when worn.

List to the Beatles Abbey Road or The Grateful Dead's Unbroken Chain for good examples of what a pure flat can bring to your sound.

Believe me, I never thought that I would be writing this stuff.....I was the first guy out the door after hearing Roundabout going...."How does he get that sound????!!!!!"

But after years of ignoring them....the flats offer a new color to my palette.

11. Flatwounds: No, YOU rock! Heh, you're not the first one to comment on my avatar. I guess I just thought 'Is there another cranky irreverent songwriter who smokes a cigar? Oh yeah!":D

Rockin John: I play Fender flatsI guess I can only compare them to the Ernie Balls I used to have on all my basses.

I was pretty skeptical at first: the bass player in my dad's band had the nylon covered strings, and I didn't like the feel or sound of them. I'd also played some fretlesses with flats and wasn't impressed. However, after hearing Carol Kaye's Bass Performances CD, I thought I would give it another chance. Since I do a lot of sliding around, it's nice not the have that roundwound 'squeak' every time you change position. Also, I enjoy the solid 'thump', sort of like an upright. The only downside, like I said above, is that slapping doesn't have quite the 'authority' that roundwounds can give. It's more like Slam Stewart or a sharp pizzicato sound.

Sure, it's not for everything. I'm sure someday when I have other basses (a Squier P strung and tuned BEAD and a Bronco converted to a piccolo are on the shortlist), they'll have other strings, but I am more than happy to have this as my #1.

Because of Carol, I may have to go all the way and get the TI's, but the Fenders are half the price and I'm pretty happy.

(I was trying to find my exact gauges online, and I'm pretty sure it's the .55-.105 set! Wow! No wonder it never seems to go out of tune!)

:smug:

12. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
    >>>I was pretty skeptical at first: the bass player in my dad's band had the nylon covered strings, and I didn't like the feel or sound of them. I'd also played some fretlesses with flats and wasn't impressed. However, after hearing Carol Kaye's Bass Performances CD, I thought I would give it another chance. Since I do a lot of sliding around, <<<

I've never been taken by the sound of nylons either. ...with regar5d to sliddin around.....if you slide too fast on nylons you feel like you may ignight your fretting finger.....heats up in a hurry....maybe you could light a cigar that way........I've felt like I could a couple of times.