Flatwound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HMZ, Mar 16, 2006.

1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I see a huge new interest in flat wound strings lately and was wondering what type of music every one is using them for? I myself just ordered my first set of flats (D’addario
    Chromes) to try out. I play in a band that does some old school Motown that I think the flats will work well in.
  2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Rock and country.

If you like the Chromes, the Labella 760FLs are probably even better for Motown. Less bright and less tension so you don't have to dig in as much.

Maybe in ten years when the chomes wear out you can try the LaBella's ;)
  3. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Do you think flats work for classic rock?
  4. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am a bad one to ask: I think flats work for everything! And if they don't I MAKE them work! :bassist:

For classic rock I tended to use either a very clean tone or a very dirty tone. A P bass with flats is just a classic sound. The band loved the thump so I had no problems there.

And for rock I use the chromes. The orange set.
  5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I ordered the pink set 45-65-80-100. For round wound I use 45-65-85-105. I ordered the smaller gauge because I here the flat wound are stiffer then round wound. I was afraid the heavier D and G string on the orange set wound be too much.
  6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I wouldn't exactly call it a new interest...
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Jazz, using them on a fretless.
  8. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I find larger strings at the top end make less difference for playing than at the bottom end. If you are used to pulling on a 105, the 50 *still* feels small :D And I really like the sound of the thicker G.

However I used the 100 set on my short scale basses and loved them. So just enjoy them.
  9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yup. I use them in my classic rock band. We play a lot of others styles too, country, surf, blues, funk, and punk mixed in with the classic rock, and they work great on all of them. I use TI flats.
  10. I use flats on all my basses. My band is a blues band but I job sometimes with classic rock bands and the flats work well in both situations.
  11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I went back to Fender medium flats on my Pbass deluxe with Nordstrand pickups. They are .50-.100

Since I've been learning to use a pick now, besides fingers-I find the Fender's are really great for doing it both ways. I actually like the pick sound better on flats. Not that it sounds bad on rounds, I just like the flats better for that.

The only thing that I don't think they do that well is slap-they're too dull sounding for that to me. But, since I don't do that much, and have a jazz with rounds anyway if I want to do that, it doesn't matter.

Bottom line; I'm very happy with my Fender flats :hyper:
  12. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'm currently waiting for a set of TI flats to come in the mail. These'll be the first flats I have on one of my basses. I've played flats before and loved the smooth feel and tone, so I'm excited to give these a try. :D
  13. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I've played funk, jazz, blues, classic rock, funk rock, and even metal using a pbass with flats (used to be fender 9050s now Labella Jamersons). The sound works for everything. The motown stuff sounds great on flats. Try putting some foam under the strings by the bridge, or above them if you have a bridge cover, that and some heavy flats will get you the authentic motown sound.