Flatwound Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by T. Alan Smith, Sep 24, 2001.

1. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001

I've got a MM Stingray 4 fretless on it's way. I never owned a fretless before and was wondering what y'all recommend for flatwound strings.
    Also, what is the hype concerning the Jamerson sets?

T. Alan
  2. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Ignore the jamerson hype, buy yourself a set of Thomasik infelds, I just put them on my MIM jazz, hot damn if that’s not the best string I have ever tried. Since I like them so much, I don’t think I will be switching again, I tried DR's, Fenders; I even put nickel rounds on my bass (not a wise idea). Plus legend has it that these strings last and last and last. The guitar professor here uses the be-bop jazz strings for his guitar. He put them on in April and gigs 2-3 times a week. Still going.....
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Fender 7050s have never let me down, but it's all personal preference. TI's are supposed to be damn good, as was said above, so I'll have to try them some day.
  4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Thanks for the info. Where do you recommend purchasing the Thomasik infelds?

T. Alan

5. aren't the 7050's roundwounds?
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You might check your "local" Guitar Center. I dunno Illinois
    that well, but according to the G/C site there are stores
    in Arlington Heights, Burbank, Chicago, Highland Park, and
    Villa Park.

If that's too far, you can get`em online at JustStrings.com.
    The JF344 set (Jazz Flat / 34" scale / 4-string) is about $36.

You should know...A lotta' folks consider TI Flats too loose or
    "floppy". They are low tension compared to many other flats.
    The Labella Jamerson set's at the other end of the tension scale.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Whoopsie doodle... My mind must have been elsewhere. I don't think there's such a thing as 7050... I know 7250s... ANYWAY, the flats are 9050s... sorry for any confusion. Good call, relman.
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    TI Jazz Flats are great strings but very low tension, rather light gauge and certainly not what every bassist is looking for. The Jamerson Labella's are thicker, higher tension and great strings, too. I favor the TI's for a more "modern" sound on a fretless AmJazzDlx I own but greatly prefer the LaBella's on one of my pre-CBS Precisions, a '64. There's no comparison in tone--they both sound quite different. Given your stated use, you'd probably be happier with TI's assuming you can handle the gauge and tension. They're pretty floppy if you're used to more "traditional" strings.
  9. that's what i was born for...to annoy and correct:D :D :D

i've heard good things about them too...
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thomastik Jazz Flats if you're looking for an aggressive, fairly bright sound. I love 'em. Yeah, they're Slinky, but you get used to it. It's their SOUND that kills.
  11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Thanks for all the replys. I'll definately check out the TI's. My bass, however won't be in for a couple months from now.

T. Alan
  12. Hey you flatwounders, I was just wondering if you would recommend shifting to flatwounds. I use nickel roundwounds (on a fretted stringray5) and like them when i've played a little. Is flatwound totally dead compared to the roundwounds or what? Is strings like Slowounds and the brighter flatwounds close in sound, or are they worlds apart? (could you slap flatwounds - I dont like that zingy slap tone anyway, but prefer a more mellow 'fullbodied' sound)
    Or, is flatwounds simply what you use on a fretless, and nowhere else?

13. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Carl-Anton, you should try a set of flats. I don't think flats sound like dead rounds at all. It is a different sound altogether. I haven't tried slowwounds. You can slap on flats; you might like the tone, although most slappers don't seem to. Flats definitely aren't only for fretless. They were the original string, and all the great lines by the early bassists were done on flats. I love them.
  14. I was about to post a new thread when i saw this one..
    I was just gonna ask about Slinky flats, because i love soft, slinky strings.

My fretless curbow 5 has a set of roundwound gh boomers at the moment, but i was planning to get some flats. Do the Thomasik infelds come in 5-string sets? Im asking, because most good strings seem to only come in 4 sets, dammit! :)
  15. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
    Yes, the Thoms come in 5 string sets. If I remember correctly, there's sometimes an issue with the length of the strings, especially if you have a very long scale bass, or it strings through the body. There's a Thomastik forum at http://pub41.ezboard.com/bthedudepit and Kevin Reynolds of Conolly & Co (the US importers of thomastik strings) is a regular poster there, so he should be able to answer any questions you may have.

16. For flats I'd recommend Rotosound RS77s. They're very responsive for a flatwound string. Almost approaching roundwound land.

Mike J.
  17. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Are the jamerson flats the thumpiest?
  18. I'd definitely say so. I bought a set of Jamerson 1954 strings and put them on my Casady. I then took them right off my Casady. Too stiff for me. And the tension; It was like the Cuban Missile Crisis!
    If you like thumpy, these strings got it by the bushel.

Mike J.
  19. I've had Rotosound Trubass nylon tapewounds on my fretless Stingray 5 for awhile now and they've been great.
  20. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Noooooo! They're nice strings, but IMO the real thumpmeisters are Fender 9050's. In fact I just took the Jamersons off my Precision and put an old set of 9050's back on. Very close to bass nirvana. The Ernies are also pretty thumpy.