1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flatwound Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Searsy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Hey

I'm the bass player in a reggae band and wanting to buy some Flatwound strings for my Fender Jazz but i'm not sure which ones to buy in order to get a deep , warm, smooth tone as i know the Rotosound 77's are quite bright

can anyone help ?

Peeeeace

Tallowah | Facebook

2. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    GHS Precision Flats FTW.

3. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I can't get used to the feel. I'm going back to roundwounds.

4. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I have heard good things about LaBella Deep Talkin' flats for the purpose you are talking about.

I love D'Addario Chromes because they are a very good all-around flats with a little top, a good amount of mid and good fullness in bottom. I believe the LaBella are more deep and thick with a bit more low. Someone does a very good comparison of them (Chromes, Fender 9050s, Deep Talkin's) on his Precision Bass in this video:

Flatwound String Comparison on my P-Bass - YouTube

Put your headphones and take a good listen. Note the the more rounded properties of the D'Addarios, the slightly more scoopy tone of the Fenders, and the really deep tone of the LaBellas.

5. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I jsut put EB flats on my G&L L2500, while this is te first time a purchased flats I like them so far.

6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    LaBella Deep Talkin' flats are the only way to go for reggae.

7. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    Reggae/dub is all I really play.
    Like basses- different flats have different tonal signatures, any could certainly be used for reggae- but of course the goal is reduced top end.
    I've Thomastik(sp?) Infelds , LaBella deep talking and Dean markley flats among others.
    Deep talking are really nice and tubby- the Infelds are super nice strings they feel good on the fingers and have more midrange flavor going on. I've been using Dean Markleys on my recent (last year) 5string bass build and they will stay in for awhile- they sound good have a good texture- but seem stiffer than the other 2 I mentioned here.

8. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
  9. wallydoesbass

wallydoesbass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Menlo Park, CA
  10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    LaBella DTB or GHS Precision Flats as mentioned.
    LaBella will be pure fundamantal, Motown, Reggae, etc.
    GHS will have a more percussive 'attack' and are better able to create a vintage woody P bass tone.

As always, YMMV.

11. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    The ebs will be bright for a while. It takes about three months to get that killer thump and thud you are looking for. but sound kool when new too. I just role off the tone on bass.

12. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I'd definitely go with the GHS Precision flats .055-.105 for a fuller reggae tone; they're very smooth and mellow sounding and very smooth to the touch. But be aware that they are "Long Plus," meaning if you have a top-load bridge - some of the string will have to be wrapped around the post. I REALLY wish GHS would also offer them in standard long.

The next choice would be Labella 760M, the 'Jamerson' set .052-.110. They're about 50% more expensive than GHS. Both are beautifully made strings.

13. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    There must be hundreds of flat threads here.. But since you ask. Labella gets my vote

14. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I use GHS precision flats 45-105. They're not as stiff as some of the others and are also less expensive. That being said there is nothing wrong with using rounds for reggae. I've played in many, and still do play in a reggae band and my P style bass (Birdsong Cbass) with old rounds gets the most compliments for it's tone.

15. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    LaBella makes the best flats. And in my opinion the best strings.

16. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    GHS precision flats FTW.

17. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    I played a used Fender fretless J at GC today and it had the nicest feeling flats I have ever played on it! The E and A strings did look a little longer (wrapped around the post) and the fabric part near the bridge (I'm sure this part has a name...) appeared to be Grey/silver. Any idea what these might have been?

18. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    GHS Flats or La Bellas.

19. well thank you everyone for the help im gonna go for some

LaBella Deep Talkin' flats hopefully they serve me well, probably try something new next time , if anyone is interested hers my band

Tallowah | Facebook

thanks again

20. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Nice groove! :bassist: