Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flatwound vs roundwound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rolnaldo33, Feb 28, 2005.

1. rolnaldo33

rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    now i probably sound like a complete newbie here by asking this, and i suppose i am...but i just was wondering...are roundwound strings the kind that are textured and are normally found on electric basses and have the little ridges in em and roundwounds the smooth kind that are normally found on frettless basses?

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Although, you can put either variety on either type of bass.
    It all depends on what sound you prefer. rounds tend to chew up a fretless board due to the texture of the string but they sound brighter. flats are known for the 'thump' they tend to produce because of the lack of brightness yet they produce less finger noise and are easier on frets and fretless necks(and fingers)

3. That is generally true, however D'Addario Chromes flats are about the brightest flatwound and have a good low end also.
    Rotosound Jazz 77 flats also but only last about 2 weeks with me before going to a dead flat thump.

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I use GHS Brite Flats...as I understand it, they are roundwounds that are then flattened. They have more life than flatwounds but aren't as noisy as rounds. I had them on my JB copy for 20-some years before I got a Carvin wound with rounds 4 years ago. I couldn't stand it! All those years of no finger squeaks spoiled me. Now the Carvin's got Brite Flats and it's happy, and I'm happy. I had a hard time finding them until I ordered from Elderly Instruments...then I was in my local music store a week ago and they had a rack of them.

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I used to use STATUS HOTWIRE groundwounds on my SHARK and get a little bit of each of the qualities of the Flats and the Rounds.

They're inbetween, so most of the finger noise disappears, and they're easier on the finger tips than rounds. I guess all makes and types of strings are personal to the player, but i quite liked the HOTWIRES