Flatwounders: How do you try out new basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emor, Aug 31, 2004.

1. emor

May 16, 2004
    For those of you who prefer flatwound strings:

While waiting to put a down payment on my new Walkabout Scout today, (stealth gloat :D ) I picked up a few new Fenders and played around with them for awhile.
    Since apparently everything comes with roundwounds today, how do you evaluate an instrument for sound when trying it out? I suppose with something as ubiquitous as Fenders, you probably know pretty much what you're getting (or maybe not); but what about something you're less familiar with?
  2. I couldn't tell you, I just put flats on all my fretted basses and hope for the best. I haven't been disappointed yet. I use groundwounds on my fretless.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I order mine built with flats... I haven't bought a bass from a store since my emergency Ibanez EX404 in 1988 (had my Ric 4003 stolen after a gig and needed something playable quick).
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm familiar with the problem. You can...

Use your imagination.

Try stuffing a rag or something under the strings near the bridge to help kill sustain and deaden the tone.

If the bass REALLY interests you, have it restrung even if you have to pay for it. If you have to pay for it, maybe the strings can be saved and if you don't like the bass you can put the rounds back on it and take the flats with you. If it's a store where you have done business maybe they'll pay for it.