Flatwounder's who use a Sansamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jessicabass, Feb 17, 2010.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Does using flatwounds and a bass driver, vt pedal,etc. sound good? I know what rounds sound like but am wondering about flats. Please describe in detail.:cool:

2. wellshuxley

wellshuxley Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes, even more "thumpy" flats sound great with my VT Bass pedal. Chromes can be downright zingy through a VT. I get plenty of mid/treble response running my P bass w/ Labella flats through it. Sounds great fingerstyle and it can get a great gritty rock tone with a pick, without all the harsh scratchiness of rounds.

3. Oh yes absolutely. My $200 Hondo Ric 4001 copy, strung with flats, was sitting for years barely ever used until I got my VT Bass pedal. I like to play with the Character knob all the way up, the Mid knob most of the way down (9:00 or below), the Low knob at about 1:30, the highs at 3:00 or so, and the drive at about 10:30. It makes the bass sound a lot more expensive, and is very responsive to how hard I play. All those knob settings are approximate though, I tweak them a little here and there til I get the sound I like. But the tone is just amazing, from full, thick, clear fundamentals when I play fingerstyle to a tube-like overdrive attack when I dig in with a pick. Very warm sounding! I can try recording some sound samples tonight if you like....

4. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I wouldn't play a bass with flatwounds without one!

X8

5. me, too. flats with vt or sansamp. sounds great

6. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    I don't use my Squier P much any more, but I had it strung with Chromes for a while (and I may put them back on sometime). It sounded fantastic going through my Para Driver. Completely different kind of fantastic compared to my G&L, but fantastic nonetheless.

7. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    Flats going through the VT on the B15 setting is Motown heaven!

8. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    YES YES YES!

9. All my basses are strung with flats and the VT bass always sounds good with them.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    vt is the pedal of the future with or without rounds.

11. I wasn't able to record a sound clip last night but I will do so tonight....

12. OK I recorded a quick and dirty soundfile... Keep in mind that the settings I like on the pedal for a lot of stuff may not be the same as other people's preferences... This is just an example of a little bit that the pedal can do. I wasn't trying to play any song or to "groove" or anything, just kind of random tuneless noodling...

http://www.esnips.com/doc/deeabe4b-ecc0-49af-9ac1-86c90c12f9f3/VT-Bass---Hondo

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    nice stuff! sounds real nasty and gnarly...just how i like it!

14. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Sounds good, Dire. That bass has a cool tone.

15. Thanks, I think it shows how the pedal can make any bass sound good!

16. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    My computer wont play the file, keeps coming up as an error :crying:

17. Hmm, try downloading it from there...

18. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Finally got it to work, I like that sound its so old school. I might have to look into trying one out myself. thank you babe.:cool:

19. No problem! I only wish my Eiphone Rivoli was in working condition, it's a short-scale semi-hollowbody with flatwounds on it. But it needs a new pickup and electronics...

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021