Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds and active pickups?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DPKolba, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Quick query here....I want more of a Mo-Town thump from my bass, so I've been thinking about using a set of flatwounds. But I have an Ibanez with active pickups, and I'm curious to see if anyone has run this combo. Ideally, I'd buy a bass with passive pickups to achieve this stunning experiment, but funding is a little tight at the moment. Any input would be appreciated.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have flats on both of my active basses - Status Graphite flats on my Steinberger XM2A, and Fender 9050Ms on my Sterling. I love the tone! Flats go well with everything, IMO.

3. Hmmmm, there's hope yet. How does it sound? Does it have that almost too muddy thump that we all know and love?

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You bet - thump galore!

5. I have never used anything else but flatwounds on both of my main stage basses, which are both active. I play all Mowtown/Stax stuff, using Rotosound Jazz Flatwounds. Have also used Picato flatwound. I will try next when I change strings a set of the T.I. Flats. Neck pick-up/ Treble cut/Slight Mid boost/Bass boost gives me all the thump I need & some.

6. Excellent...thanks people!

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have TI Jazz Flats on my Modulus Q5 and they are a perfect match. Try it , you'll like it!

8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I have been using Pyramid Gold flatwounds on my G&L ASAT basses for a year and enjoy the tone. Like a wet noodle out of the package. Medium tension. Real comfy to play and fun to dig in. I have tried LeBella flats and found their bottom great but the highs muted. Fenders are smooth and real punchy but at the cost of high tension. Pyramids are expensive but they last long and nothin sounds as good as nickel flatwounds.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    all the sound clips in my Benavente link are with SIT flats. I just switched to some SIT pressurewounds because the bass has so much texture to it's tone the flats seemed to choke it (swamp ash/maple).

I'm talking about another one in the future in alder/rosewood and one dual coil dimarzio in the neck position specificly for the P-bass / G&L L-1000 type thump :cool:

10. Alright, sub-question...Where would be the best place to acquire some of these strings? The local music store that I like to frequent will most likely not have any type of flatwound.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I get mine from Brian @ www.thelowend.net
    Adrian @ accessbass.com sells the TI stuff. I've heard good things about juststrings.com, but haven't used them.

before the net, I'd just order stuff from my local store

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have always had good luck with juststrings.com

13. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    just put these on both my fender jazz fretless and my warwick rockbass active.

i was seriously looking to sell the rockbass as it was just too bright and raucous, the jazz flats have totally changed my mind and i'm rethinking that i should play it a while before making that decision. nice thump and bump but not dead and lifeless.

the jazz was all i hoped it to could be.

:p

bill