1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flatwounds and half-rounds questions.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Apr 19, 2009.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Just wanted to see what you guys thought of these two style of strings.

Currently I am playing two Stingrays and I love them. They are the best places i've ever played, but I've never liked roundwounds a whole lot, yet everyone seems to play rounds on a Stingray. I was thinking of putting flats on one Ray and Halfs on the other.

I play in church, and have a couple of different rockbands that i'm playing in. I used to have flats on a passive jazz and I lvoed the tone. I was gonna put some on my Ray when I first got it, but several of my guitar and bass playing friends told me I was defeating the purpose of having a Stingray if I put flats on it.

I'm ready to try them out but wanted to see if anyone else had experience using flats or halfrounds on an aggressive bass like a Stingray. Also, how different do these strings sound? I've never played halfrounds so i'm a little apprehensive to spend 35 bucks on them.

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Try a search here for "stingray flats", and you'll see this discussed a bunch.

I think you'll just have to try it. I think Rays sound great with flats.