Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds and playing metal

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 440Hz, Feb 16, 2004.

1. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    I am really looking into getting a new bass here soon. I am wondering how a fretless would sound in a metal band. I mostly play with overdrive, so that may be a factor. I am concerned with lack of response/clarity with playing a fretless in this type of music.

also, while at the music store today trying out basses, there were two different fretlesses. one had flatwound strings and the other had roundwound. what gives? I thought roundwound would chew up the fretboard? Is there much difference in tone for these, given i want to play metal?

I also am looking into a fretless as i wanna start playing it as a solo instrument, like Eberhard Weber!

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Depends on how hard the metal is.... You probably wouldn't cut through the mix very well with a flatwound fretless...

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Roundwounds do usualy chew up the fretboard but it ofers a tone that some find worth it.

As for flatwounds with overdrive, whats the point? Overdrive kinda ruins the tone IMO. I would never use overdrive with my fretless.

4. Fretless works very well with metal, if it's played in tune. But not with flatwounds. At least that's my opinion. You can reduce the wear of your finger board by using pressure wounds and still get a good round wound sound.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, hey, there is a way to put a mylar sheeting on the fretboard. I have heard of people doing this to make it take rounds without getting chewed up. I can't remember where the thread was here, but as far as I know, it worked very well.