Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds and the high notes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Been hearing a lot of good things about a bunch of flatwounds, some bad things too, but all concerned with the bottom end. I'm wondering how flatwounds do in the upper registers, the octave range and the harmonics especially. I'd also like to know how tension affects this, like if the Fender 9050's (any gauge, tell me which one) or some such with their higher tension would be better or worse off for that range than the TI Jaz flats or some other flatwound series.

I'm more on the jazz end of the spectrum in case it helps, and I'm playing on a parts Jazz fretless and (it pains me to say it) a rogue combo with 15" main and tweeter and 150 watts behind it. It hurts, I know, but it was what I could afford after afformentioned project bass and it seems to get the job done, it doesn't run me through the mud like some 15's seem to, the highs come out quite clear for the most part. I guess I got lucky on that one.

Anyways, the flats. Tell me about them and .

2. and... how any of them do on those high notes.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    First, a hell of a lot of jazz guitarist use flats and they get them highs....:bag:

I don't have any problems with high notes and harmonics, this is more of a bass thing then a string thing. It is a different sound then rounds though, more direct and compressed if anything.