Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds and Through-Body Bridges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pindy, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Pindy

Pindy

Jan 3, 2006
    Is it not good to string flats through the body? I'm stringing a Glaub with Flats (never used flats previously) and was wondering about this.

I also noticed that the playable part of the E string (GHS Flatwounds) wraps around the tuning peg a little, when I string it from the back of the bridge. Usually it tapers down and is covered in wrap, but this has steel, full width, starting to wrap around the peg, which makes me think it was extra long scale, but it's the standard Long Scale Plus, Medium set from GHS. It's almost as though GHS want you to string it through the body to take up the slack.

Thanks.

2. :cool: I used to NEVER put flats through-body on my P-Bass. That was because it was a 1962 (not a reissue) and it was only a top mount to begin with. :) However, when I got my first through-body P-Bass, through-body they went. Been doing it ever since and have had absolutely no problems of any kind.

3. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Pindy, I string my DA Chromes and Ken Smith Slick Wounds, thru the bridge...........never had a problem!

4. Pindy

Pindy

Jan 3, 2006
    Throught the bridge—THROUGH the BODY?

5. 59jazz

A big "DUH!" on my part....thru the body. I have even had the Chromes on and off my bass 3x already.........

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    How would you describe the difference in tone/feel/etc. between thru-bridge and thru-body with the Chromes?

This thread is extremely timely. I'll be getting my Lakland BG tommorow, and I was thinking about stringing it up with Chromes, but I couldn't decide if I should string thru-bridge or thru-body.

I've heard that flatwounds break easily if strung thru-body. Is this true?

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I play a glaub with chromes through the body!
    yeah one might snap in 2008 or so but i don't worry
    about that sort of thing;i've got a duck dunn on the way,
    it'll be strung with chromes through the body!!always have backups:)

my .02

8. 59jazz

There are quite a few of us here, of the opinion that there is NO difference in tone or feel....................I'm not saying there is or isn't, I just don't hear it. I run my strings thru the body because it's there. And I haven't had one string break at that critical point of the bridge.....it could happen:eyebrow:

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Alright. Well, I'll try some of them out, both thru-bridge and thru-body, when I get my bass. We'll see.

10. Pindy

Pindy

Jan 3, 2006
    Dave from GHS wrote me back to say that it's fine to string flatwounds through the body. Next time I'm going to.

thanks all.

11. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I bought a set of chromes to try on my Lakland JO. They are long scale and if I string through the body they are not long enough. Is this normal?

12. 59jazz

YES! you need the Super Long set.

13. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    Thanks! Ordered a set tonight.

I top loaded the other set and they sound really great on the JO. I like them much better than TI's, which I found to floppy.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I also switched from TI Flats to DA Chromes[SUB]but on my fretless[/SUB]. I like chromes better, theyre way less floppy.

I was going to switch to Roto77s but the stupid music store I went to which had a whole wall covered in strings did not have the 77s and I needed flats badly because the G of the TIjazzflats broke so I got a pair of D'Addario Chromes which are good for now but I still have the urge to try out the 77s.

15. I have Roto 77's on my fretless and I don't care for them at all. They have a VERY rough texture (for flatwounds) that annoys me.

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've been using sadowsky flats with a 2tek bridge, and while you can see a gap in the windings where it bends to go over the saddle, the string is holding up fine.

Given the option, I'd go through bridge, since you want flats to last as long as possible so they get that thump going.

If you go through body, the difference in feel that people perceive is actually a slightly higher action, IMO. The string has stiffness and so it does not make a perfect bend at the saddle, rather it arcs past the witness point meaning the true string height is slightly higher than if you strung through bridge. People say "more sustain, more tone, tighter feel" ... thats just higher action.

PS: on a P bass I'd go with LaBellas, Laklands, or Sadowskys.

17. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I have LaBella flatwounds through the body (Am. Deluxe Jazz) and have never broken a string. They are super-longs. I'm really missin' the concern here about breaking strings. Why would you???? :confused: I mean, why would it make a difference whether its FW or RW? Winding the wound part of the string onto the post will risk string breakage, but that has nothing to do with FW vs. RW. I guess I'm out to lunch on this one! :meh: Also, I have played numerous "through the bridge" and "through the body" set-ups and personally hear no difference whatsoever. But thats me.

Interesting thread to read though!

18. Pindy

Pindy

Jan 3, 2006
    I don't think it's that far out—the wrap on some flatwound strings is rather wide and it's a legit question as to whether or not bending wrap that is about 3-4mm wide poses any concerns to tension and core integrity.

Know what I mean?

The guy from GHS already sorted me out weeks ago, so people are simply adding their experience and I appreciate that.

19. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    Pindy, I didn't mean to imply that your question wasn't "legit". I apologize if my post came across that way, it wasn't intended to.:)

20. Pindy

Pindy

Jan 3, 2006
    Similarly, I also regret any tone that suggests that I did.