1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwounds: Ernie Or Fender

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hobobob74, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

May 21, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I know TI makes probly the best ones, but I'm to cheap to buy those so witch are better original Fender ones or Ernie Ball ones. Or som other brand for around $20.

2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Try out D'Addario Chromes. They're about $30 though.

3. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    +1 on the chromes. They have alittle more tension then the TI Flats.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1 on the +1, but tension depends on the gauge. The XL chromes are really low tension. :cool:

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I hear good things about the Fenders. I had them and they sounded like round wounds as far as treble is concerned, however they still had the thud. I found that the tension was on the high side, but not too bad.

I hear that Ernie balls are ok, but I have no experience with them.

Of the two you mentioned I'd say the Fenders, but +1 to chromes.

6. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    +1 on the chromes. They are warm and feel great...very smooth, worth the 10 extra bucks.

7. I have the Fenders(9050's) on two basses and really like them. I don't detect a "thud", though. I like the stainless treble, too. Alot like a round-wound sound.
    Josh