Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds for 35 scale 5 string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, May 28, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I want to put flatwounds on my Spector NS2000 Q5. It is a 35'' scale and i know that D'Addario Chromes don't fit... the black silk wrapping at the end starts way too soon. What sets of strings are there that would fit a 35'' scale 5 string?

2. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I recently put Sadowsky Series Flatwounds on my Roscoe LG 3005. They just fit the 35" scale and sound pretty good. I'm not sure I'll stick with them in the long run, but its fun to get a change in sound for a while - dig the Jamerson vibe!

Ron

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How much did they cost? Did you order them straight from Sadowsky?

4. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I know that Lakland JO flats fit a 35" scale 5-string. You can get them direct from Lakland.

5. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Go them from Bass Emporium (here is Austin). John Files owns the store and makes it a point to match Internet prices on his strings. Plus, I believe you can buy from him over the Internet at http://www.bassemporium.com

I believe they were $44.95. I'd like to try some Thomastik-Infelds next, but I don't believe John stocks those.

Ron

6. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    LaBella nylon coated strings fit a 35".

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    TI Jazz Flats at the Dudepit

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok i ordered a set of Lakland Joe Osbourne signature flats. Hopefully Ill like them.. cost something like $38 after shipping. Flats usually last a while though, right?

9. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    In my experience, they do last a good while before losing their feel/tone. Of course, Jamerson thought they didn't ever have to be replaced unless they broke and he sounded awesome. ;)

10. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You can get long and extra long scale D'addario Chromes.

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd actually like some too, but some higher-tension ones. Are the JF 5's still really low tension? I just really don't want a floppy B, and I LOVE the sound and feel of flats.

12. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    The Sadowsky flats I got were recommended because their tension is similar to the D'Addario XL's. I find the tension good, with a tight B string.

13. Scott I use the JF365's on my Sadowsky V5. Click on the link in my sig line......listen to Dream Within A Dream, tell me......is the B floppy sounding to you? :confused:

It sounds tight as ever IMHO.

[​IMG]
    Treena